Shelving Rock Mountain Trail

Shelving Rock Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Ann, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

The view...you can see SO much of the lake it's an amazing view. Easy hike as well, would be great for beginners, families or just someone who is looking for a nice easy hike.

nice easy hike for first timers. have done this now twice and definitely recommend to anyone

Easy trail ... had alot of fun ... don't let your dog off the leash alot of porcupines... also walked with horse ... will never forget this hike

Great, done it easy with the kids 8 and 6. From the end of the trail , a little trail go down toward the lake for an amazing view

Nice hike, old road to the top makes for an easy hike. View is okay, not the best Lake George view of the mountains around the lake but still worth the easy trip.

Easy hike with 10 year olds, nice peaks of lake.. next time adding the mountain loop for summit view

Short easy climb with a gorgeous view ! Nice place to hang your hammock and stay awhile . Don't miss the real lookout .... once at the climb down and follow small path down towards the lake !

nice hike, not difficult. beautiful view of the lake
just beyond the peak.

Great view. Easy hike.

Rockier than I expected, but a nice, pretty easy hike. I took my dog and we both did fine. We did both the mountain and the falls. I wish I could have found where others had such great pics at the top of the mountain.

There are actually two trails here. The first is about 1/4 mile before the mountain trail. It's a 10 minute hike down to Shelving Rock Falls. It's a very easy hike, and you can get some nice pictures. Another 10-15 minutes down this trail, it brings you to Lake George. Wish we'd brought a towel to dry off... This part of the lake is nice and clear, with a soft sandy bottom. You may want to wake in the warm water, before hiking back up. Now, onto the actual Shelving Rock Mountain Trail. The hike seemed long for us.. but we are beginners. I'm about 315 pounds, and I tramped along with my girlfriend and son (6). The trail is very well marked, and it zig-zags back and forth as you slowly ascend the mountain. Eventually you reach the top, but the view isn't great. The trees are so tall here.. you can see gorgeous Lake George in the distance, but it's hard to get a feel for the height as the view is somewhat restricted. I'd give the short trail to the waterfall 4+ stars, but the trail up the mountain was average at best (3 stars). All in all, we had a nice day out in the wilderness, but I didn't think the climb was as rewarding as I'd hoped.

Pretty good hike. Actually liked the rocky parts in some areas. Not too long. The view at the top is impressive, but grassy area is small so can be crowded at busy times.