Shawangunk Loop, NY

Shawangunk Loop, NY is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ellenville, NY that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Dwarf Pine Barrens, Crystal clear streams, views of Catskills, ledges I just did this area for first time. It is an incredible area to explore. I took the west ridge up were there are many stream crossings. The Shawangunks are referred to as the Gunk’s. It is a unique and sensitive environment were you find a ridgetop dwarf pine barrens and white conglomerate rock. There are many ledges in the area, so you have to be careful were you step. Also in the area are many waterfalls and sky lakes. I took the Smiley path up to the unmarked High Point path to the summit of High Point. Then I took the Blue marked trail to the smiley path and back to parking. Most of the trail is easy to follow, except the blue trail that takes you through the pine plains. There are very few blazes on the trees due to the fact that the pines are only4-6 ft tall. The trail itself is worn but has never been trimmed. You end up walking through knee deep blueberry bushes. It felt more like a bushwhack. This is why it is important to have a map.

The view was amazing from the top and sooooo peaceful. The trail is well kept, it was my first solo hike and I'm glad I picked this trail.

Went twice. First time walked around the like. Easy, Beautiful. Second time I took the castle point trail. Longer hike, but easy. Multiple stops with amazing scenic views. I highly recommend it.