Red Hill Fire Tower Trail

Red Hill Fire Tower Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grahamsville, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

scenic driving

My husband and I took our 3 kids ages 5, 6, and 8 and they were amazed once we got to the fire tower. My 5 and 8 year old climbed to the top of the fire tower like they have done this before, but unfortunately it was locked. We will be back during open season so we can take a look inside the fire tower!! We tired this hike once before but it was too icy and could not make the top, glad we were able to conquer it!!!

Did this hike with my 10 year old son. The hike basically starts at the trail-head and goes over the mountain to a road on the other side. The trail-head is actually at the end of Coons Road. Don't go to the address on Red Hill Road as there is no parking. Use 60 Coons road for GPS directions.

The hike to the fire tower is 1.4 miles. Moderate for any active hiker, my son had no problem. The fire tower is very cool and the ranger gives a personal tour.

We then hiked past the fire tower and found an overlook with beautiful views and a nice flat rock to have lunch.

Hiked back to the car in 45 minutes. Fun trail, highly recommend it.

Keep an eye out for the signs to the trailhead that have been put out otherwise you will end up on a private road. Pretty easy hike with no real view unless you climb the fire tower. We got there after the steward had left but there was a nice grass area around the fire tower for a picnic area.

I was looking for a day hike with my 4 and 6 year old kids. The description listed on catskillmountaineer.com called it easy, when we got to the trailhead the DEC listed it as moderate hike. I said to myself we will make it as far as my 4 year wants to go... For little kids it can be very difficult at some parts but they made it to the top with only stopping for a break once. The attendant at the top was so welcoming and friendly. After a couple of attempts both kids made it to the top of the fire tower, it was a little windy and their nerves were getting the better of them.. It was well worth it taking this hike we enjoyed it!!!

This gets a one star based off All Trails terrible description.

1. The directions take you to the road next to it, not the actual road.

2. Be forewarned that attempting to drive here with anything less than AWD is a mistake. I am so thankful my car didn't pop a tire.

3. There are CLEAR warnings to only hike in groups and that evacuation can take hours. The description provided makes it seem like a walk in the park, but this should not be attempted alone. The odds of getting mauled by a bear here are probably equal to getting poison ivy.

This was a short trail and not that strenuous until you're 3/4 the way up and it becomes a steep climb with a switchback. Over all the hike was pleasant with no views on the way up. Be careful as you hike this trail because it's rocky and have tree roots that you could trip on. The summit was nice a clean with picnic tables for you to eat at. The attendant was very nice and knowledgeable. The view from the cabin was excellent as you could see some of the Catskills high peaks. The only concern that I have is the seasonal road to get to the trailhead. It's rocky and somewhat steep in sections, and the directions linked to this app isn't correct. I would do this hike again and this one completed my fire towers for the Catskills.

It was exactly what I was looking for. A short, moderately strenuous hike that ended at a neat fire tower. Not sure why a previous review said the view was not good. I found it very appealing and interesting. It was fairly easy to get to off Sugar Loaf Rd out of Grahamsville. The road in is seasonal and I see why. The drive out of the lot back to the main road is steep and rocky making for a bit of tense driving in my mid-size Chevy. I'd go again when I have limited time and need a decent hike.

As most NY trails - rocky trails at points - but some nice tree formations on the way up...and the peak at the fire station lookout is worth the hike. The station attendant is friendly. knowledgable and hospitable. Nice little hike!

Beware of the hike in sheeps clothing. This hike was a bit more intense than the reviews stated. The trail seemingly out of nowhere just gets extremely intense. The view at the top is literally nothing, you must climb the firetower. Even then the view is so much less astonishing than a hike in the ADK, nonetheless one more hike down to earn my firetower challenge badge!

Reviews and online forums said you can hardly see anything from the tower but I was surprised at how much you CAN! Great views and an easy hike. This was my last Catskill fire tower I needed to complete!

The whole hike is about 4 miles not 2.2 miles. It's simple, and quick, with a nice view from the fire~tower. A hike that people of all ages, that are in normal shape, may enjoy. The trail area is surrounded by private hiking lands so please make sure to follow the numbered path, (it was a bit hard for us since we went up during sundown). It starts out easy then during the last quarter mile the elevation picks up quickly with a sharp bend to the left. The overall area is well~kept but not really populated. It seemed as though there hadn't been many other hikers there for months.

This trail map marker is about a mile off from the start of the trail. When I drove to the location I was lucky that a local drive by and gave me directions to the correct location.

Our first hike this year. The view from the fire tower was amazing.

A volunteer community group keeps care of this firetower trail. It has a pamphlet trail guide at the register with points of interest, history and nature marked along the trail. Very nice hike, just wish the DEC didn't have to lock the tower cabins when there is not a guide there.
Also, the road that the trail head is on got washed out from the northern side of the parking area about 10-15 yrs ago. So alternate routes need to be navigated. Don't rely on the directions link via this app.

Very nice hike ,slight grade not bad. Took my 4 year old with me. Fire tower at end of hike for a nice 360 degree view. Also has picnic tables and open field at bass of fire tower.