Plotter Kill Preserve Trail

Plotter Kill Preserve Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Schenectady, NY that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Multiple trails ranging from 1(blue)-6 miles loop(red). Difficulty from easy-moderate. Beautiful streams, step falls and 2 tall waterfalls. Forest views. Great top rope ice climbing in January-Feb. Plotter Kill Preserve is a nature preserve near Rotterdam, NY. The Plotter Kill, a tributary of the Mohawk River, flows through a very rugged gorge. The forest here contains a mix of hardwoods and confiers. There are three beautiful waterfalls. The Upper Falls is 60 feet; the Lower Falls and the Rynex Creek Falls are both 40 feet. Start on the red trail near the kiosk. Take the side trail (blue) which will take you to lookouts over the Upper and Lower falls. Continue on the red trail which crosses the Kill on a foot bridge. You will pass by the Upper and Lower falls. The trail goes down a switchback taking you to the top of the falls on the Rynex creek. Cross the creek here. If you have ample time, you can follow the red trail to the end of the preserve near the Thruway. There is a cascading waterfall there. I opted to turn around shortly after crossing the power lines for this trip.

beautiful , even without the waterfall going it was breath taking

I was not impressed with the trail; brought my young kids and the trail was in kinda overgrown condition in places; the blazes were tough to see and if you didn't know the trail is would be easy to get lost. My kids weren't at all confident on this short loop.

nice hike, but completely no water

It was a nice walk through the woods, but barely any water flow and trail markings are not very good. We just did the short, Blue trail. Trail head has good parking and other than not being well marked the trail is a nice easy trail, just keep your eyes downward, there improvements that they just received funding for- It is a nice easy drive to get to.

"The Plotter Kill Preserve is receiving a total of $600,000 to improve safety and trail accessibility for visitors. Assemblyman Angelo Santabarbara, D-Rotterdam, secured $350,000 in the state budget to be combined with an additional $250,000 through a state grant for the renovations."

Are you kidding me ? How is this $$$ being allocated at used ? Someone out there is wrecking the place by cutting down trees with a bowsaw. I think to divert people from unwanted short cut trails. I understand that there should be some reaction to recent tragedies ... but the actions taken on trail seem rather KNEE-JERK and silly.

Perhaps some of the $$$ could be earmarked for repaving the driveway (not the whole parking lot) entrance to the lot. There is some asphalt slumping and pitting going on there.

my go to hometown hiking trail. been coming here since 6th grade

We went there in mid July, not much water, but we enjoyed lots of natural fish spa

Husband and I hiked this trail for the second time. Beautiful day we started at a different entrance, Mariville Rd. We completed the blue trail, it was a bit confusing due to running into the red. This is a great place to feel at home with nature. We stopped for breakfast along the way and saw the most beautiful spider webs. My phone couldn't capture the masterpiece.

Amatures bring a friend! Great trails!!
Go after a good rain storm.. Was very dry today!! Keep your head and footing and have fun!!

This is a outstanding hike, the waterfalls are beautiful if you go after the rain and the falls look their fullest. But risk not being able to access lower falls unless you walk up the river. It is pretty busy and popular hike, but definitely worth seeing! Nice get away close to the city of Schenectay.

We followed the red trail as a loop and it took around 7 miles. Really intense, really beautiful, and witnessed an act of love making along the way. I would suggest wearing proper foot wear, trail is muddy and slippery in spots. Who would have thought that power lines were so cool! In my opinion that was the highlight of our hike. Oh, and it should be mentioned that the red trail gets a bit confusing, the best way to find your way through is with this app.

This is simply a magnificent place with grand views and challenging trails. The full red loop is just under 7 miles and includes many ups and downs that will keep your heart pumping. Make sure to stay on the trails as the drop into the gorge below will surly kill you. Keep an eye out for snakes, salamanders and many woodland birds. Have witnessed some nudity on the trail as many couples enjoy the privacy of this enormous park.

I did 6.91 miles on the red trail. North rim then into the ravine and up the south rim. A very beautiful area with dozens of different species of woodland birds. Falls were okay but I go for hikes more than the scenery. The only downside I see here is lots of humans DO NOT carry out what they carry in. Lots of various trashes along the trail. broken beer bottles in the stream. its a shame.

the most beautiful hike we've ever taken. the sights are breathtaking. We started on the blue trail, then orange then made the entire loop with the red. Tough 6.2 miles but we would totally do it again. trails are well marked was with someone who downloaded the map from here and we had no problems. sometimes we were so high up it was kind of scary to look down but would totally make this trip again. A beautiful example of how pretty upstate New York really is!