Pillsbury Mountain

Pillsbury Mountain is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Pleasant, NY that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

Pillsbury Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the southern Adirondacks at 3,597 feet in elevation! The views are only accessible on the fire tower. Note: some may need to park at Sled Harbor Clearing and walk an additional 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

It was the one of the hardest three-mile hikes we've ever done. It was a lot of fun though. Chloe (my 4yo pit/lab mix) did awesome. Great exercise hike :-)

The only thing missing was the fire tower. It's there but as stated by some others it is in need of refurbishment. There was a good 40-50 mph wind at the top and I climbed up about two thirds of the tower way and took some pictures. I don't scare easily but the missing wire and the wind combined to keep me from going all the way to the cab. Either way the views are amazing.

I read on some other sites that the three unpaved roads to the trailhead keep some people from doing this hike. One of the websites said the third road was the worst. Some work must have been done because although it is single lane it was well graded and stoned and I was able to drive right to the trailhead. The second road was the worse of the three in my opinion but I easily made it.

This is what you should expect from a 1500 foot elevation gain in a mile and a half. It isn't something for the whole family but the trail does attempt to use the contour of the mountain to take some of the sting out of it. Also the false summit surprised me, I didn't look at a map prior to and when I got to the first plateau and saw there was more climb left, especially after having done Owls Head in the morning, I was a little deflated but pushed on.

Overall great views at the top and you have to work to get there. Don't be afraid of the access roads. They are easily passable and this hike is worth it.

About 1300 foot elevation change within a 1.6 mile hike. I would not recommend this hike just after a lot of rain since much of the trail is through hillside runoff. Hiking poles are recommended. Climbing up the fire tower is a must for this one since that is how you will get the amazing view!

Not a quick hike. Views were pretty good. The Fire watch tower is in rough shape. Boards are cracked and weathered. A lot of the wire is missing. Wouldn't recommend bringing children or dogs up it.

Great views from the tower. Well worth the steep climb.

Getting to the trail is not a pleasant experience if you're driving a vehicle that's low to the ground. You have to drive down a logging road to get to the trailhead. The views while hiking were very minimal and there's no views at the top, unless you climb the stairs to the closed cab of the fire tower. Doing this hike, you start your ascent right after you hike down from the sign in register. There's nothing exciting about this hike.

Completed this hike for the fire-tower challenge, was not thrilled with this hike at all. The logging trail you have to drive on is muddy and not maintenance at all (be careful is driving a car, much better with a truck or jeep).

Steep climb to the top with minimal views unless you climb the fire tower. The tower is in poor shape and the cab at the top is locked.

I was hoping for better views. Minimal views from top of mountain. If you are brave enough to climb the dilapidated fire tower you will have great views. The chicken wire that was used as protection on platforms disappears as you climb the tower so it kept me from going all the way up

Short and steep. No views until you climb the closed cab fire tower. Nice and quiet as this is not one of the overused trails. Good hike, and if you don't like our ADK's, go back to your 14,000 footers.

Hiked this while camping not knowing how long or difficult it was but it was still worth it in the end!

Just moved from the Cascade mountain range on the west. I am use to 11,000- 14,000 ft elevation on the Active Stratovolcanoes. These hikes in the Adirondacks, even the ones considered 'hard' are extremely simple. I am use to hiking high grades with my toddler in my child pack on my back without stopping. However, for those who did not grow up near Volcanoes or harder mountain ranges, this would be a good challenge.

Went on this hike for my 18th birthday. Didn't know it was pretty much all uphill hiking... This made it my hardest or second hardest hike I have done. Regardless, it was nice and the views from the fire tower were worth it! Sadly the cabin at the top is locked.