Palenville Overlook Trail

Palenville Overlook Trail is a 12 mile loop trail located near Palenville, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and snowshoeing and is accessible from April until October.

Hiked to Overlook from Scutt Rd

My boyfriend and I started at the DEC parking lot for Harding Road Trail and followed trail signs for Palenville Overlook. The trail was tough (I should note, we are smokers, but we do hike quite a bit, and it was our first hike of the year; it took us 4h23m to the outlook and back; 9.2 mi. round trip, 2485 ft. elevation gain per my boyfriend's app) but well worth the view. It's one hell of a great workout, with a great sense of accomplishment afterward. Some nice views of the notch along the way, up, too (even better on the way down as the sun starts to go down). However, be warned of large and very protective birds of prey (golden eagles, we believe) and black bears. Came across both, on one hike the day after Memorial Day. One eagle circled us at the outlook and we had to leave. A week prior to that hike, the eagles were much more protective as their young had just hatched (we can only assume) and practically chased us off the mountain (they were following us up the hike and were above us at every break), hence why we came back a week later to finish the hike. Also, be mindful of bees (that's at least something we aren't used to on hikes, not a big deal but there were clusters of them throughout the hike). Still so worth it all. It was kind of exciting encountering all that we did. It's become a favorite trail of mine.

This trail is the reason I downloaded this app. Didn't read the trail sign correctly and went 5.8 miles down the mountain instead of to the North South Lake parking lot. If I keep this up I maybe the first athlete to accidentally get in shape for a 10 k. But I'll have to get lost a couple of 100 more times. Despite the fact this trail is labeled strenuous, if you have a lot of time and light, it's worth it. Check out the plane wreck just off the trail about one mile northwest and down hill from the over-look.