Owl's Head Mountain Trail

Owl's Head Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Long Lake, NY that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

First 2 miles are pretty easy. There's a few downed trees to hop over. The last mile is kinda steep and a lot of rocks to scramble up. If you have a dog you'll prob be lifting it up in a few places. The view from the fire tower is beautiful. Took about 6 hrs total with about an hour lunch/pic break

This would make a nice family hike. It has some length at 6.2 miles but if it wasn't for the portion after the observer cabin site I would rate it as easy.

There are a number of trees across the trail. It doesn't impede hiking but it needs some work for this seasons snowmobilers. Also the wooden walking planks and bridges need some work. The first few are nice but later there are many that are rotted out.

The view from the tower is awesome. This is a hike worth taking.

Pretty easy hike. Past the Observer's cabin there were a couple spots that I had to figure out maneuvering around with the little dude on my back but it was all manageable.

The first section of the hike was very easy - flat to gently rolling hills, but once you make your way up the mountain it gets steep fast. the last mile has a few sections that are rocky and steep.

Pretty easy out and back hike

This was a nice trail that I did. The weather was chilly and there snow and ice out. The trail starts off with a climb, then it levels out until you get close to the summit.There was ice out and I had to use my microspikes to reach the summit. The views from the tower were nice. The only issue that I have is the elevation gain listed in AllTrails is incorrect, as the actual elevation gain was 1,519 ft. I would do this trail again when the weather is nice out.

first let me start by saying that the elevation gain is not anywhere near the 737 feet. the true elevation gain is 1,519 ft. right at the start you are doing a pretty good incline. it levels off with some ups and downs... the last 3/4 of a mile was pretty challenging and I wish I had microspikes, as it was very steep and there were quite a few spots of thick ice.

Very well kept trail with spectacular views. Last part of the trail can be a little challenging but overall a very nice hike. If climbing in the end of winter/early spring microspikes are a must. Quite a bit of ice.

first two miles are easy enough. you can hike 4 miles from the camp site if you wish. The last mile is very very steep and a bit of a rough climb. The views are worth it and the tower is a great view.

Moderate hike. Great reward

A beautiful day for a snowshoe - 20 degrees, full sun and no wind. If you stay on trail the hike is 6.2 miles RT and is a moderate hike in winter. We did some exploring and ended up with a 7 mile RT full of great woods and a beautiful view. The majority of the trail is easy with the real up coming in at the end. The day we did it there was about a foot of fresh snow and combined with drift that led to some very deep spots which were fun. The very last part was steep and slippery with the snow which led to a lot of laughing and sliding backwards, our pup did better than we did. The fire tower has excellent views and is well worth the trip up if you are ok with heights (and it is still open). It took us about 7 hours which included some off trail exploring and at least an hour at the summit, great hike.

Just as the overview says, the first two miles are really easy. I did this hike yesterday June 10, 2013 just after a few days of rain in the region. It was muddy in spots, but that is to be expected. There are a few spots on the trail were you will have to traverse some downed trees, but nothing too bad. The last mile is where the real workout begins, but trust me the views are absolutely amazing at the top and even better if you climb the fire tower. This tower is still climbable, but be careful on the bottom set of steps. Also I noticed the concrete around the feet is starting to corrode so I don't know how much longer this tower will be safe. To make the day I was able to see a pair of Bald Eagles, so the last mile up the mountain was well worth the trip. I wouldn't suggest taking small children up this mountain as once you get close to the summit there are some rough spots you have to traverse. Also there is a den of snakes at the top. I am not sure what type, but I don't think they are poisonous. I will post a picture of one of them. I saw a total of about 4 of these on the rocks.