OK Slip Falls Trail

OK Slip Falls Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, NY that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail to OK Slip Falls in the Hudson Gorge Wilderness is open to the public. The three-mile hike leads to an overlook that provides a scenic view of the falls. The parking area for the trailhead is located on the south side of Route 28, approximately 7.5 miles east of the community of Indian Lake. The trailhead itself is on the north side of Route 28, 0.2 miles west of the parking area. The trail also provides access to Ross, Whortleberry and Big Bad Luck Ponds. Approximately a half mile from the trailhead hikers should turn right onto the trail to OK Slip Falls. Follow the trail another 2.5 miles to the overlook on the east side of the OK Slip Gorge. OK Slip Falls is considered one of the highest falls in the Adirondacks and its waters flow into the Hudson River near the center of the Hudson Gorge.

This trail is not as easy as many reviewers indicate. There is a lot of up and down. There are a lot of rocks and roots to trip one up.

The trail is immaculate and well marked and maintained and there is a reward at the end, a nice view of the falls.

I would recommend the trail but not rate it as easy.

Good Exercise. Easy walk with minimal ups and downs. It was pretty anticlimactic due to the falls having a very weak flow of water. Do it if you want a long hike and don't care about the view at the end.

Great hike! 5 hour round trip with 10 people and the family dog. The falls and surrounding gorge is beautiful. A side trip to the bottom of the falls was awesome but it is a challenging climb. A side trip to the top of the falls is well worth it.

This was a relatively easy hike, a good hike for first timers or first hikes of the season. Not too many inclines or obstacles to slow you down. The trail is very well marked and blazed. It's almost impossible to get lost or stray off the trail. The overlook was nice but pretty far from the falls and being it was a very dry summer, it wasn't exactly a raging waterfall. I imagine it's a lot more impressive when there's been a substantial rainfall or early spring when there's snow melt. If you're feeling adventurous and daring, just before you reach the overlook, you come out of a fork. You can go straight to the overlook or go left to a bridge that brings you to the Hudson River. If you go off the trail to the right before you cross the bridge, it's only a couple minutes hike to the top of the falls where there is a small pool before the water dumps down the gorge. The view of the gorge is a lot more impressive from this spot. We took our boots off and stuck our feet in the water to relax. The water was a bit cold so we didn't go all the way in. I posted pictures from this spot. Overall it was a very rewarding hike and I didn't feel too tired afterwards

The trail is in amazing shape, and easy enough that my three year had no problems hiking it. The falls themselves were disappointing with how far away they were. The great hike made up for it.

This was one of the most rewarding hikes I've done. What a great view of the falls. Hiking down to the base of the waterfall is not for the faint of heart but in my opinion it was worth it. I cannot wait to visit again.

Trail was easy and mostly pretty flat. Waterfall was breathtaking, although I'm sure way more spectacular in early Spring. We took the steep trail down to the base of the falls which was a bit sketchy - lots of loose rock and dirt.

The trail is fine but believe it is more than the 3 miles it says it is . I think it close to 8 miles round trip using my Fitbit .

Hiked to the base back in 2013 via the herd path and the falls are very impressive! The boulders at the bottom are a lot bigger than they look from the lookout. I uploaded a pic and you can see my hiking partner towards the lower left side of the falls for a comparison. It's well worth the hike in but go when you know there will be water because if it's dry it won't be very impressive. Spring is best.

We did this hike on June 20, 2015. We took the trail from the Rt. 28 parking area which is approx. 8 miles east of Indian Lake. Short hike along the highway to the trail-head. 1/2 mile in on the red trail you come to the cutoff to the right for the Ok Slip Falls (blue trail). Hike from that point to the falls is 2.5 miles. A lot of the trail was very wet and muddy, but the payoff was the spectacular falls at the end. You see the falls from across the gorge. There is a trail from this point which is "Closed". Looked very steep and I am not sure I would want to climb back up after venturing down. It would be nice if there was a trail so we could see the falls from the bottom. We stopped for lunch at the top with the view of the falls. Total time was 4 hours going at a pretty good clip. Bugs were not bad. No black flies. Mosquitoes a little annoying when we stopped for lunch. The hike was mostly through the woods so there was not overlooks, but worth going just to see the falls.

snowshoed to the falls then broke trail down to the Hudson. Going to the Hudson increases the workout. the outlook is along way from the falls, wish there was a trail to the base of the falls

Beautiful view of the falls, not a hard hike, but very muddy for the first half mile. I do not recommend taking the Hudson gorge split off as it was steep and had no real views of the falls or anything beside the river. 7 mile hike 6 round trip and 1/2 mile each way to the parking lot.