North Dome and Sherill Bushwhack

North Dome and Sherill Bushwhack is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Kill, NY that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Wilderness Area, Streams, Spruce summits, views, lots of solitude This hike is only for those good with map and compass. The temps today were in the 20's and there was between a dusting of snow to 2 inches at the higher elevations. The Bushwhack takes you through the westkill Wilderness. You climb two of the 35 catskill peaks that are 3500ft and higher, North Dome and sherill. This makes number 30 for me. Only five more to go. The Bushwhack starts out on the devils path. Then we took a bearing straight to North Dome. the climb up was very steep and slippery. You have to use caution due to some steep ledges. Once on top of the Spruce Covered summit we took another bearing to Sherill. The hike to Sherill was much easier. Once on top of Sherill we took are final bearing down to the Westkill. When crossing Westkill use caution especially at times of high water, like today. We then took Spruceton rd back to our car. It is also hunting season so we had to wear the orange.

I did this hike end to end with a car shuttle. Started at the Spruceton Rd DEC Parking Area and hiked the red-blazed Devil's Path for about .7 of a mile and jagged right crossing a small stream and headed for a ridge coming north off North Dome. Once you leave the Devil's Path the rest of the trail, to the finish, is a bushwhack. Once I made the ridge it was a straight shot to the summit. The canister at the summit is a little harder to see when the leaves are off the trees and snow is on the ground, but range around a bit and you should be able locate it. Coming off North Dome heading west to Sherrill, I made for the center of the col between North Dome and Sherrill. There are several ways up Sherrill if you do a map recon but none of them look any better than the others so I just shot a dead-straight azimuth up the mountain and followed it to the summit canister. It should be noted that the east side of both mountains is covered in boulders and ledges. One after another. You should be in good hiker shape to attempt these two peaks. Once I crossed over Sherrill I headed basically west, down hill for nearly 2.5 miles to the DEC Parking area at Shaft Rd, off Hwy 42. My total distance was 6.3 miles and it took me 5 hours 30 minutes exactly. I normally like post my gpx track but on the trail-less peaks I don't do that. You'll enjoy the hike more if you find the canister on your own!