Murphy Bennett Lake Trail

Murphy Bennett Lake Trail is a 13.2 mile out and back trail located near Northville, NY that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of my absolute favorites to go to. Once you get past the long incline hike, you come up to the first lake. But the Middle Lake, is usually where I rest for the day. Love going off the beaten path to go swimming and enjoying the camping spots this place has to offer. There seems to be a understanding between whoever goes here to camp that what is there, stays there. Such as a tarp, and the nice log bench at the spot I usually take to. I love being able to go so far in the woods, away from all the noise and hectic lives we all live. And this is honestly, the best place to escape too. I recently discovered this spot this past summer, looking forward to possibly hiking it in the winter too. I'm sure it will be even more breath-taking then.

Great challenging trail with beautiful lakes

It was a very beautiful trail. Went during the winter. Little rough without spikes did it with a set of muck boots on. Beautiful spot. Had a lean to and was able to start a little fire by the lake. Very beautiful scenery. Even saw a doe until she saw us and ran.

Go every year with my father. He's been hunting and hiking up here for over 30 years.

Great hike! But VERY icy this time of year. My boyfriend generously gave me his microspikes because it was literally a sheet of ice. We did the 7.5 mile route, to the lean-to and back out. You easily miss the first lake because you really have to make an attempt to try and find it. It was a very nice hike, not too too strenuous.

I just got back from a solo over nighter at Murphy Lake and had a very peaceful and pleasant trip.
I parked on creek rd with intentions of hiking to the lean to on Murphy and set up camp for the night.
The hike in is all up hill; sometimes gradual, sometimes steep. One of the interesting points about the trail is that it can be as difficult and as technical, or as easy as you want to make it.
The main trail has been severely washed out in some sections with lots of rocks and mud left behind. But for every washed out section of trail there is a nearby J hook that is marked and easy to follow that get you around the washed out parts.

Each lake has obvious trails that lead down to them and right to the water. All 3 lakes were filled with leeches as well so I wouldn't consider them swimable at this time. They are however fishable if you are into that kind of thing. I met a guy had just got 2 bass in the 20 minutes he was there. Each lake also has a boat somewhere tied up on the shoreline. They all look fairly seaworthy. I didn't test that so don't take my word for it. None of them were chained up so if you wanted to bring a paddle I'm sure no one would be adverse if you used it and if you are respectful of the equipment.
Bennett lake has a fire pit with bench seats and would be great for groups.
Middle lake did not really have any established camping areas but there are obvious places to set up shop waterside.
The Murphy lake lean to area was very clean and well kept. The previous visitors had raked the area and re stacked the fire pit. There was a broom for the lean to, a rake for the grounds, and grill grates for the fire pit; very pleasant amenities.

*** Directly after the lean to the trail is blocked by a beaver damn. If you wish to continue on with the trail you WILL have to cross on top of the beaver damn. Take that in to consideration if you plan on hiking the entire trail. You will most likely get wet.

We came in from Creek Rd, parking was easy and we found a nice creek across the road from the trailhead. Our plan was to go to Bennett Lake for a short hike and ended up completely missing it and ended up at Middle Lake but we were happy we did. It was gorgeous. Decent trail, good markers. We plan to go back again this summer.

Went in from Creek Rd, Trail was wet and muddy all the way. Must have hiking boots this time of the year lots of stones on the path. Took 2 hours to walk to the end,ice still on part of the lake, lean to was clean stayed their for a short time. Round trip was 4 hours. Have done this trip about 8 times now. Good trail to hike.

We approached from the North West on Pumpkin Hollow Rd. The trail was a little mushy and full of mosquitoes. They were absolutely horrible. Worst I've ever experienced. We hiked to the lake and back. The lake is very nice and completely secluded. Clear water is great for swimming in.

fairly easy hike to a very pretty lake. we camped 1 night. there was a large group at the lean to that were very loud late into the night and using axes to cut trees for fire wood. would def do it again hopefully no parties next door this time.