Mount Tremper Trail

Mount Tremper Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

5.7 miles 2057 feet Out & Back

Hiked it with my two sons. Tough with loose stones covered in leaves but we had a great time.

Not the most exciting trail. The footing is a little tough. Nice views from the tower.

One of the harder fire towers trails in the catskills and Adirondacks. Beautiful view from the tower.

Hike was not very challenging but just required stamina as it was loose shale all the way to the top. Fire tower provided a very nice view of the Catskills

Hard at first but not too difficult. Pretty view from the fire tower.

Trail was all loose shale the whole way, the views from the summit are okay at best as the tree line continues to grow higher. We had a great night camping on the mountain though. We also has a bear sighting on our descent from the top, so be mindful of that possibility

Easily accessible with a good parking area. I started at 8:30am and was the only one on the trail aside from the wolf that crossed the path in front of me. Passed 5 groups of hikers on my way down the hill around 10am.

Steep ascent in the beginning with loose shale. Regretted not bringing my boots, I could have used the ankle support. The fire-tower platform was locked, but there was a decent view from the stairs underneath. Great, quiet hike in the woods.

The trail was challenging. There is a steep ascent not far from the parking lot. Ice was minimal. We did not need micro spikes. The trail has a lot of loose shale on it that makes it not all that fun to walk on. You need to keep your eyes on the ground a lot. I was glad I had poles and boots with ankle support. The trail levels out in places, which gives a nice respite from the steep climb. The view from the tower is very nice but there's not much of a view from the summit otherwise. The top of the tower is locked but you can get a good view from the stairs beneath it.

This is a rocky trail in places with a good rock scramble in some areas. The trail is covered so there isn't any good views along the way up to the fire tower. On the way up I noticed that the spring was dry and there were campers in the lean to. The trail gave me a good workout along the way but I enjoyed it. There are no views once you reach the fire tower, unless you climb the fire tower and the view from there was well worth the hike.