Under Cliff Trail

Under Cliff Trail is a 6.1 mile loop trail located near Philipstown, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.1 miles 2064 feet Loop

The trail was tough in the beginning, it was hard a climb for the first mile then it leveled off and descends. There was some great views of the Hudson River and other mountains in the area. Definitely would do it again, but would try some other trails in the area instead.

Absolutely beautiful vistas. Be careful to stay on the trail. Get a trail map before hiking. A little crowded at times.

I wasn't prepared for this long hike at all. Been reading about this trail and everyone else has been saying you can just modify it access to your style and ability. I followed the trail from Alltrails anyway. I didn't know it was freakin long. Anyway, I took the White, Blue, Red, Yellow then back to White trail. I got lost twice. Mainly because I was trying to look for the off trail scenic views. But other than that the trail markers were quite clear. be careful when the Washburn(white) and Yellow Trails meet, just keep on following the white until you see the Notch(blue) trail. What I liked about this trail is it has scenic elevations, abandoned old historic areas, brooks/streams, forest floor, and even a quarry. It isn't as busy as the Breakneck Ridge. I'd say that to me, it's just more strenuous than the Breakneck because this one is longer. Watch out for the mysterious deep well with that stone cover along the Blue trail. it was a bit creeepy. Over all, I was dead tired but I loved the fact that you feel accomplished and rewarded by the views of the trail.

Went up the blue trail. LOVED the ruins about a mile into it. We spent so much time there, the sun started to go down so we climbed a little more, but never made it to the top due to lack of time. Deff going back to climb to the top. next time going to explore the white trail.

We went up the yellow trail from the Pearl St parking lot to avoid the heavy traffic on Washburn trail. A quiet oak tree forrest was beautiful to walk through and was a good warm up for more steep sections. 3, 4 good viewpoints. You can see the entire Storm King across the river. We only saw one other couple coming down till we reached the cross section with Washburn (the White trail). Trails are well marked and well maintained (yellow trail).

Amazing Hike! Multiple view points and some steep parts. Definitely a good workout.

Good trail. Would be recommended for someone who is a beginner or intermediate level

This used to be a fabulous hike with amazing views but over the years the trees have grown so high that it does block the most amazing vistas and there are only a few spots you can see now. Of course I'm not suggesting cutting down all the trees but I've seen such a change here in ten years that this went from being one of the most spectacular viewing areas to just "eh". That said the trail is beautiful. Well maintained and it's the woods - so really - it just can't be bad!

I did this hike with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. It was a great hike. Most of the information about it on the web is a little misleading. There is quite a bit of climbing, and its not as easy as some make it out to be. And my girlfriend and are are both in extremely good shape.

There are actually several trails on this mountain, one of which leads you to the breakneck ridge trail, as well as some that go all the way up to Beacon. You could very easily spend all day out here and not see the same thing twice.

We took Metro North up about 1.5 hours then walked about 15 minutes from the station to the trail head on the highway.

Pick up a map before you enter at the Cold Spring side trailhead (the Washburn trail). And note that there are multiple BLUE trails for the trip back down. If you take the wrong one you will be heading north towards Beacon and the Breakneck Ridge trail. South will take you back to the beginning of the Cold Spring trail head. And actually, you will have to hike a bit down the RED trail to get to the proper BLUE trail.

All in all, it was a great hike and we are planning another more extensive hike there soon. The views are pretty epic.

Nice hike on a warm day. The best part of the trail is the descent from mt Taurus.

Overcame my fear of encountering wild animals and went on my first hike ever! I loved it so much. I took the white trail which was all up hill. I stopped about an hour or so hiking up the mountain then came back down. Saw a huge black snake which had me freaking out for a minute haha but other than that I can't wait to go back and do the other 2 trails. (:

Good hike I took my 10 year old and he did great !

I decided on taking the Washburn (White) trail up to see the view from Mount Taurus. From there I hiked on the Blue trail until I came to the ruins. After exploring a bit I took the Red/Blue trail back towards the parking lot near Little Stony Point passing another run down building. This is really a great hike with some amazing views of the Hudson.

A steep ascent with scenic views at the top and ruins towards the end of the trail. This trail is popular since it's close to NYC. We saw lots of people along the hike, but got some solitude on the second half of the loop on the descent as many people seemed to do an out and back.

Gorgeous views of Hudson River.

Pretty good trail. For someone who hasn't done any hiking it's not hard but challenging enough to make it interesting.

This trail also goes along Bull Mt if you follow the Washburn (white) trail. It starts at Little Stony Point. It eventually connects to the yellow trail which you can follow to Breakneck Ridge or you can follow the Red trail which will take you back to 9d. If you follow the Red eventually you will come across the Cornish (Blue) trail will take you back to where you started at the beginning of the Washburn trail. It's a pretty nice loop. This hike is pretty cool it takes you up to an old quarry. It was really cool, looked like an African safari with the flat plain and the mountains all around. If you keep following the trail it will take you up and around the quarry and you can look down and get an incredible view. Although make sure you don't follow the ridge around. Make the detour and look at the view but keep continuing to your right if you want to follow the White trail markers. Takes you to a great view of Coldspring..

Fun hike for a clear day. Great views starting about 1/3 of a mile up the Washburn Trail (White Trail). The trail is marked with colored disks (nailed ??) to trees rather than painted blazes. Easy to follow. The trail we hiked was a loop of 5.74 miles (Garmin 60CSx). We used the NY-NJ Trail Conference East Hudson Trail Map and started on the While Trail then took the Blue Trail west to the ruins. From the ruins we came down off the hill on the Red Trail and then took another Blue Trail that leads back to the parking lot. This was an easy loop. Only the first 2.5 miles is up hill. The rest of the trail is flat or gently sloping down hill. Great views of the Hudson River. Neat Ruins that are quite extensive. And then there are two blow-down trees, one really big and one a bit smaller, both of which cross the trail.. One you can step over but the other one you have to walk under. Both have thousand of rocks placed on them by hikers. Gently add your rock to one of the stacks. If you accidentally knock one of the stacks of rocks over, then you have to go back to the start of the trail and hike the whole thing over again. That's the rule. Hikers' rule. Follow the rules.