Mount Marcy from Upper Works Trail

Mount Marcy from Upper Works Trail is a 18.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, NY that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I hiked a 25 mile trail with my brother up to the summit and I have to say that it was filled with almost every backpacking challenge you could think of. It was a gorgeous hike on every type of landscape and ended with a great sense of accomplishment!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

Advise to hikers: take your hiking poles and plenty of water!!

May have been a bit too ambitious as my first overnight hike but I am so glad I did it. Really felt like I accomplished something and the views were amazing. Lake Colden was beautiful. We stayed in a lean to near the top and I think I'd use the hammocks if we did it again. Took the pup along and she must've slept for two days after.

Difficulty 5/5
Scenery 5/5
This loop is absolutely breath taking. Indian falls is a wonderful half way break and picture stopping point. Summiting isn't difficult but if you are carrying all your gear for an over night, I'd advise dropping it off at a lean to down near the damn and the the whole loop. I did the whole loop with all my gear (not for the inexperienced, difficult). Summit is windy so be prepared to be chilled. The hike out is even more wonderful with the two lakes and the trail doesn't get any easier. It's a wonderful hike but make sure you are prepared. Highly recommended.

I'd never hiked up to Marcy from the Tahawus Preserve. The bit is lightly forested since it was formerly owned and used by industry and not as interesting as the usual Adirondack hike. After this the forest gets thick, you cross a beautiful rushing river (the Hudson) and start uphill. The day we went it started snowing by mid afternoon. We camped at a lean-to near a lake, and the next day went around the lake on the other side of Mt. Marcy. It was an impressive sight with the white frosting of snow on it. There were beautiful views of both Marcy and the Avalanche Pass.