Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge

Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, NY that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Marcy can be very demanding due to its length. The trail is heavily trafficked and can be rough on weak ankles. Bring warm layers!! From the Adirondak Lodge or near it, the trail is easy until you reach Marcy Dam. The trail is mostly boulders, so it makes for a nice rock-hopping day. Stop and rest by Phelps Brook and Indian Falls, and refill water bottles because there are no streams the rest of the way. The hiking gets harder as you get closer to the summit, and the last push is bedrock that feels steeper than it is.

Overall amazing trail with great views. The hardest part about this trail is the length, otherwise it is less difficult than expected. Weather can play a factor too, summiting in the afternoon allows for a lot of the ice to melt. This is key in completing the last mile of so. Last water fill up is around the Indian falls where a small stream crosses the trail.

Great time hiking Mt. Marcy. Friendly hikers all around. Great to bring your dog with you. Getting to the top was an amazing experience!

Amazing hike.

Great hike great views

Did it yesterday on a very clear sunny day! The hike is not as difficult as some may have described over here but one would feel that it's very long on the way back. 5hours to go up, 2 hrs at Top and 4 hours to get back. 7AM to 6PM. The view from the top is totally worth the hike!

The view at the top is great don't get me wrong, it's just about making it there. This was my first high peak and probably not a good one to start with but I was with an avid hiker who pushed me through it.

There are points that are steep near the end and the final push is the most difficult part in my opinion. It's not so much the nature of the ascent that's hard but more the overall length of the trail. For the first few miles it's relatively easy with a nice stream and view of the surrounding peaks and a watering hole about 2/5 of the way up. But then it's just pretty much uphill for seemingly ever.

Expect to be gone the entire day. The trail has many visitors and is easy to follow but I was pushed to a pretty fast pace and it still took a good 7-8 hours with hardly any breaks to finish.

Make sure to bring plenty of water for this one.

Ill be honest my fiancé and i are not in typical poor shape like most Americans but we where not conditioned enough for this for the avg person not avg hiker this is a brutal hike we made it almost to the summit had lunch just above where the trees stop so we had a great view! Not as good as from the summit but we accepted it. We sat for about 45 min then headed back down at first it felt like we had a great pace back down then soreness really kicked in it took us almost 5 hours to get back. Many times wish we could have just given up but that was not a option all in all it brought us together and is a driving force for us to train and make that summit ! As far as challenges views and bragging rights this hike doesn't get better then Marcy for New York State

Great hike! Awesome view on a clear day.

I hiked the trail last Saturday with my husband 8 yr. son and dog. It was fun for all of us and worth it. It took us a total of 9 h with a short stop at the summit and a cool down I the lake. For everybody in a decent shape it's durable.

This was my 5th Hike ever and me and my GF decided to close this summer with a nice long hike .. we did it as 1 day hike took us 3 hours 10 min to the summit from the Loj, We were moving pretty fast from the start passing almost all the people .. it took some energy to get to the top quickly but it was Worth Every second .. The View was breath taking .. perfect weather not a single Cloud .. Sat an hour on the summit then head down .. we were talking our time on the way down took us around 4 hours ..so over all it was roughly 8 hours 30 mins road trip hike including 1 hour on summit .. honestly i thought it was going to be piece of cake but this Hike demanded some respect (Bring lots of water i drank 3 liters total) .. anybody can do it as a 2 day hike but in one day its a bit tough .. but over all its worth it . i'll go there again in the heart beat ..

Long moderate hike, great views from the top. Bring bug spray and a lot of water.

Try not to do this one in the middle of December unless you have the proper gear!! Still breathtaking.

Really fun trail and if you go at the right time you will have a quiet and remote experience. It will take close to a full day but its worth it in nice weather.

Amazing views this trail is not walk In the park
I would rated this trail moderate to very hard