Little Woodhull Lake Trail

Little Woodhull Lake Trail is an out and back trail located near Forestport, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for snowshoeing and is accessible from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

216 feet Out & Back

This is a great hike. It starts out as a very wide trail when you enter it from the North Lake Rd. trail head. You will cross several very small brooks, so small you can step over them. Eventually the trail gets a little rough before you make it to the lake, but just mind the trail markers and you will be fine. This trail makes a couple sharp turns that you may miss and have to track back to if you are not paying attention towards the end (at the lake). There is one rather large brook (Clark Brook) that you have to cross, but you can do it completely on the rocks without getting your feet wet. However, that could change if there was recently a lot of rain or melt.

We went in on April 24th and though some small bass were biting at the lake, there was very little action as far as fishing. I think it was still a bit cold. I did get a few hits from trout in Clark Brook.

When we first arrived at the lake, there was a bald eagle flying right above us. We saw several herons and other wildlife, not to mention the beaver huts. It is a very awesome view up there and is one of the few lakes in the area that you can get close to without having to muck through marsh.

The trail is very quiet. The last people to check in on the trail registry was over a week prior. If you are looking for calm and peacefulness, this is your trail.

I would expect this trail to be the best during the Spring and late summer, into fall. With all of the water areas, I am betting the insects would probably be rather intense during late May into late July. I have a camp about 15 miles from this lake, so I have a bit of experience with that.

This is a perfect day hike. Expect 1.5 hour hike in, but a faster hike out.

Hiked from north lake, to sand lake then to Woodhall and back. Total of 38 miles. Did it in 2.5 days. Was a nice view but wasn't the easiest trek