Kitchawan Preserve Trail

Kitchawan Preserve Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yorktown, NY and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Let's face it- this is a hiking trail for people with dogs. Something which is sorely lacking in this area, so Kitchawan is a godsend.
The front end is nicely marked, wide trails and you'll run into people on your hike. I did the loop that crosses the Northern County Trail and got stuck in some crazy overgrowth and what I think is an intense chigger reaction. Watch out for the meadow under the power towers. The reservoir is beautiful, only wish the trail went nearer to it.
No real water features to swim in, but a good outing with the pup & I broke a sweat on the hills on a 2-hour hike.

I recorded my hike, so you can see where the trail gets lost (aka I have to turn back)- then forgot to stop recording when some jerk hit-&-run my car in the parking lot. Karma's a bitch, green Subaru lady!

Nice, easy loop that you can easily do in under 2 hours. Expect to see a few people with dogs--they are supposed to be leashed at all times, but not everyone follows the rules.

A moderate workout with varied landscape. Lots of water views and an active stream that runs down to the reservoir offering a respite for dogs and for hikers. The trail, at times. abuts a farm that is bucolic as it is scenic on the hike.