Jenkins Mountain Trail

Jenkins Mountain Trail is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Paul Smiths, NY that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice very savage & long hike, challenging, no firetower at the top but overall a great view.
Near Paul Smith college turn on key mills road, then you will see after 2-3 miles some parking areas.

This is a great trail! It is a little bit of a walk to actually get to the start of the elevation but it was a great day. Only took us about 5 hours including time to chill at the top. Highly recommend it!

Jenkins mountain trail is a great walk in the woods. You park at the VIC (Paul Smith College Visitor Interpretive Center). Register in the VIC, there is no cost, they will give you a map of all the trails surrounding the VIC.
The VIC closes at 5 pm so plan accordingly, I got back to the parking lot at 8 pm and was relieved that they hadn't locked the gate.
As a 61 year old novice hiker, I found the trail easy, it is well marked. There are a couple of out houses and gazebos along the trail. Take your time and enjoy the walk. I was surprised that the meandering trail was not traveled much. The view at the top of the surrounding area is awesome.
I was there on a beautiful day the trails were relatively dry, that could be the difference between between an easy walk in the woods to a trail rated moderate. There were no other people on the trail and in places you wouldn't know there was a trail with out the blue paint on the trees.
There are many trails around the VIC all user friendly.
I will be back.

One of my favorite hike/runs. First 2 mile sis on a very wide truck trail. You then turn left and go on some nice single track. At first its very rooty and rocky, but gets better. For a novice hiker, its very easy. For me, this is one of my favorite trail runs. never gets too steep until you are almost at very top. Near top can get a bit wet in areas. I don't mind the "loop back". My desire isn't to just get to top and out. I also don't prefer a bushwhack to a trail, and novices wouldn't prefer a bushwhack. It passes some cool beaver activity. The view at the top is pretty good, but the high peaks are a bit away, so its not the best

It was a good hike but the trail could be shorter. It does a huge horseshoe loop. You're better off bushwhacking your way to the top. The sight was decent but not the greatest.