Jay Mountain

Jay Mountain is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lewis, NY that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from January until January.

For fans of open ridge hiking! Summits are a two-fer, with a western and an eastern one. They are joined by an extraordinary "highway in the sky" for abundant views from many angles. Jay Mountain Trailhead: The intersection of Jay Mountain Road and Upland Meadows Road, which is reached from Rt. 9N in Upper Jay by taking Trumbulls Rd. for 2.5 miles where it becomes Jay Mt. Rd., which is followed another 0.8 mi to Upland Meadows Rd.

My favorite hike so far! loved the view! Moderate difficulty, a little climbing at the end, but you can still enjoy the view without climbing.

Read many reviews of the trail at various hiking websites and all had a general consensus of "Out of Shape Hikers- 2-2.5 hours" Well, it took me 3.5 hours (didn't think I was that out of shape!) If you want to reach the peak, focus on the peak, once you get out of the tree line, you can easily get lost in enjoying the views, which are amazing, and waste a lot of time. While driving up, there were ALOT of people at various other trail heads along 9N and 73, some with the lots full and cars along the roadway. We expected the trail head to be packed at Jay but found only a dozen cars and only met a few groups along the way. Yes, bring plenty of water and be prepared for several scrambles over fallen trees and be alert to the trail on the ridge-line, there are cairns but some spots the trail disappears and you really have to look for it. Also, bring something to pay the toll to the crows that fly around up there, they aren't afraid of hikers!

Trail seemed longer through the wooded part than what is stated, mainly due to many switch backs and ups and downs. The trail is very well maintained and the views up top are spectacular. We continued on the ridge line and so glad we did. The cairns definitely help. Only saw one small snake. Definitely worth the effort - just be prepared with water, some rock scrambling if you continue on the ridge line and wear good hiking socks/shoes. We enjoyed the trail, but definitely felt longer and was tougher than we expected.

I loved this trail, however, I relied on this map in the app to find the trailhead which said I had "arrived" when I was still on the highway. Get directions from somewhere else. Nice shaded hike with lots of toads and a few snakes. Great view at the end!

This trail was more challenging than I thought but only because I wasn't prepared for distance and ran out of water at end. First half of hike is in the woods and last half is walking over open rock face. Most breathtaking views and may spots to stop for pictures of private eating areas. One of my most favorite hikes in the Adirondacks.

Great trail! Challenging and long with a beautiful view!

Very enjoyable moderate hike with best views of a side of whiteface mountain not commonly seen from other hiking trails.