Indian Head Mountain Loop

Indian Head Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile loop trail located near Elka Park, NY that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

from tannersville take route 23a to county route 16 then make a right on prediger rd for 1/2 miles to the parking

A beautiful hike and very manageable. I did the full loop adding Sugar Loaf Mountain and Mink Hollow. Only difficult about 2.5 miles of the 15 I hiked. Sturdy boots a must with the rocks and the views were spectacular. I would say this is more Advanced than Hard. A beginner in decent shape can do this one.

Lovely hike, it has a good amount of uphill, but it was very manageable. Lots of downhill too. We started at a different entrance, but it was good all the same!

Challenging but beautiful.

Very nice trail.

I only went from the Prediger road trailhead to the lower peak of twin peaks Sat 9/17/16 but it was an awesome day abd Ramble. kudos to Rip Van Winkle hiking club for organizing.

Hard is to say the least ... If you're not experienced don't do this one ... Did the loop almost did twin mountain also but was pooped ... That's right i said it pooped ... This well marked trail is in combination with wall climbing and large jumps down ... As some points you have to slide down the rock on the trail... What an experience ... Loved it ... Great trail

awesome overnight backpacking, combined with out and back to Echo Lake makes for a full day and a half

awesome hike. really difficult at times but the views are totally worth it. thank you alltrails for helping us select this hike!!

Fantastic hike, very challenging amazing views!

Absolutely beautiful hike. I've done two mountain and one volcano hike so I've had a little experience and it was challenging. My 4 other friends were newbies and they struggled but all agreed the views were well worth it. Took us 6 hours because we sat at the overlooks a while and really took it all in. Also, it's still quite icy up nearing the top (near the steep parts!) for anyone that's interested in going. Overall, would recommend to anyone! Good luck!

This hike was better than expected. Very steep going up but the views are great and scenery is beautiful. We will be back!

A great hike that really puts you in the heart of nature. Some rock scrambling but nothing too difficult if you have good hiking boots. Our little 11-pound terrier had a blast!