Hurricane Mountain Trail Southern Approach

Hurricane Mountain Trail Southern Approach is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great climb up a smaller peak in the High Peaks region of the Adirondack State Park. This is one of the better non-4,000 foot peaks in the area. It has a completely bald summit with 360 degree views as well as a very cool firetower on top. it is a short climb from Route 9N and can easily be done in an afternoon. Make sure to bring a camera!

A good hike !

My son and I hiked this during peak leaf season this year. the trail was amazing. we started from I9N trailhead and made summit right at sunset. very incredible views from the summit and the newly renovated tower. The trails were very easy with some steep spots, but very well maintained with many bog walks along the Pitchoff brook. Overall it was ~ 6 mile RT hike in 3.5 hours. With a sunset hike you'll be descending in the dark, so bring headlamps and a flashlight. A moderate hike with some great panoramic views. Do this hike as part of the Firetower challenge!

Hiked it with my wife 10/7/16 and had a great time but I agree it's more like a 6.5 mile hike when you go to the fire tower!

Hiked up with my 75 year-old mum, so went at a slow pace and it took us about 5 hours via the southern approach (incl. a 30 min picnic break). It starts very steadily on a nice forest trail but the second portion of the trail is steep and involved a lot of rock
climbing. And at the end, probably also because of our slow pace, it just seemed to drag on forever. The view is rewarding, especially from the restored fire tower! Judging by the signposts, it's more a 6 mile roundtrip.