High Peters Kill Trail

High Peters Kill Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, NY that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ascend through a now-wooded area of former fields and stone walls to enjoy ridge views and reach the cascading Peters Kill (stream) in Minnewaska State Park Preserve.

There's some small cliffs off the side of the trail that offer some awesome fall veiws.

Nice smooth day hike. Rated harder than actually is, but the views on a clear day don't disappoint.

Great trail. Beautiful sights. Some parts of the trail feel difficult but I went in thinking it was moderate and it did feel moderate at first. It's a great workout but not too difficult.

Gorgeous views, nicely strenuous, great hike

AT has this trail rated as a Moderate trail, and the state park rates it as a "strenuous" trail. For someone who grew up in the White Mountains, and doesn't hike with any regularity, I felt this trail was on the very low end of Moderate, if not on the high end of Easy. And, it's atypical of most trails in that the climax of the experience is met half way through. That's when you arrive at the massive opening on the ledge looking out to the south. Those views on an autumn afternoon would be amazing. If you find yourself on this trail during rain fall, be wary that a significant portion of it is exposed ledge or rock which will be quite slippery.

For me, I'll like use this trail as a training trail with various weighted back packs to prepare for a winter hike in New England.

This is a long trail through accessed at Peters Kill parking lot or the Minnewaska parking lot or the Coxing Kill parking lot. I have done the whole trail over time. The best parts are the panoramic views ans the rushing waters of the Peters Kill and wild rhododendron in bloom in July. I also had a couple bear sightings including mother and cub. Also don't miss Sheldon Falls upstream from High Peters Kill trail. - Brad S.

I did this hike on June 4th 201. I searched for the hardest trail because I live in Colorado and hike Colorado. I was really happy to have a great challenge. This is a beautiful trail and it does give you a great workout.

We were here on a perfect fall day. The views from the ridge are outstanding. It's a great place to view the beautiful fall colors.