Harvey Mountain Trail

Harvey Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austerlitz, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

A personal favorite if you're seeking solitary time. I saw no one else on the trail and the trail book didn't have many visitors. The trail head is slightly difficult to find, as it is across the road from the parking lot. It feels like a secret place, I love it! When you get to the top during late July the whole field is covered in wild blueberries. It was such a perfect reward for a moderate hike. You also get a great view of the southern Taconics. I wouldn't have found this hike if I hadn't read the AMC book "Best Day Hikes in the Catskills and Hudson Valley." A GREAT go to book for hikes.

Awesome trail for beginners. Easy to follow and offers a great view!

The kids loved picking wild blueberries!

I think this is a great trail for those looking for more than a beginner "walk in the woods" but cautious to jump into anything too serious. It is a decent hike to the top with some work required to get there. No scrambling required, my 60 year old father who is not used to inclines and has a replacement hip was able to to this (although he was glad i didnt take him on anything more challenging. It was a great little hike, and the top is covered in WILD BLUEBERRIES!!!! we ate and ate then walked back.

Beautiful to walk amongst the fall foliage but believe what other reviewers have said about the poison ivy. You cannot avoid it.

Nice hike when the blueberries are in season. Make sure you take the extra time to walk to the state border maker.

I took my 2 1/2 year old son up this trail today. We had a great time. It's a pretty easy trail, my son did a good portion of it himself. There are some nice views from the top and a good spot to sit and a have little picnic. It only took us an hour from the trailhead to the top. If your thinking of doing this hike read the review by Douglas Kemp about finding the trailhead, the sign is not marked well.

I hiked this trail with my 10 year old son and we both liked it a lot. There is some elevation change but nothing too strenuous. My GPS said it was 3.5 miles round trip and it took us just over an hour to get to the summit. We hit the trail around 5:30 pm and even with taking a break at the top we were down before sunset. The view from on top was very nice.

We had some difficulty finding the trail head, so I provide the following:

The Trail Head: Tale NYS Thruway (I-90) to Route 22, heading towards Austerlitz. Left onto E. Hill Road. When you are on E. Hill Road, you will come to a "T" intersection with an unmarked dirt road that goes off to the east. E. Hill Road continues on. Opposite this unnamed dirt road is the trail parking area with room for 5-6 cars. The trail itself starts on the left hand side of the unmarked road, maybe 20-50 feet up the road from the intersection. There is a small wooden sign nailed to a tree marking the trial. 10-20 minutes up the trail, you'll come to a "T" intersection. The trail right leads to Harvey Mountain. The trail left leads 4.5 miles to a fire tower (according to the sign.) Hope this helps!

This is a great trail. Some parts were a bit more strenuous than I had expected, but over all it wasn't too tough. There were a few muddy areas even though it hadn't rained in a few days, but it was easy to get through those areas. We packed a couple of sandwiches and ate them at the summit which offers great views all around. Then we went the extra couple hundred yards to find the NY/MA border which is marked with a stone cube with the states' initials engraved on the side. Unfortunately, we were there too early in the season to pick blueberries. Might have to go back in a few months.