Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

1 hour ago

Not a bad hike but hall engine if it's your first one of the season, as this is a fairly steep trail for at least the first half. Had to knock the rust off and muscle through the first half hour until I caught my breath. We went when it was wet and the smooth rocks didn't seem to be a problem. The summit is worth the hike with almost a 360 degree view and a fire watch tower where you can definitely see a 360 degree view. It was cold and windy though because I went in April

Great hike! Took 1 hour to go up about 2.2 miles and about the same to go down with 3 kids ages 9, 10 and 11.

Nice hike! Good bang for the buck. Nice views from peak without a lot of effort. Fire tower enhanced our viewing. Good hike for beginners or with kids.

Nice trail, though rocky and steep at times. Longer than noted here according to my garmin - 3.6 round trip. My 4 year old and 9 year old both made it up, though with some gentle complaining ;-). great views from the top!

This was a great hike. Challenging, but I did I it 2 days in a row. A hiking stick is very helpful, especially on the way back down. For those of us not in top shape, the hike took us 1 1/2 hour up. It's steep for most of the hike. A few flat places. It seems like forever and like you're never going to reach the summit. There are markers, but we saw them on the way down the second time we hiked it. The rest of the time I was always looking at the floor. There's a lot of rock face and many areas of individual rocks that you have to step across one by one, so it's a good idea to concentrate and watch your step.
Now the way down waw harder. It took 2 hours both hikes. I had to go a bit slower to make sure of my footing. Many people breezed passed us. My husband probably could have gone faster. But take your time and go at whatever pace is comfortable for you. If you fall or trip you are most likely landing in rock. Definitely don't do this hike after a heavy rain, as the rock face will be slippery.
Good shoes and must. And plenty of water.
Beautiful view at the top.
We hiked with our dog for the first time which added to the challenge, but it was well worth it.
Happy hiking

This is a great hike we do a few times a year

Definitely a steep hike but the view from the top is worth it!

What a climb! Steep way up, but worth it when you get to the top!

In a word: STEEP!!! Admittedly, I am not in greatest shape but this climb kicked my butt!! It was pretty much 45 degree climb for 90% of it. There were few flat spots or switchbacks. I stopped frequently to catch my breath and even my husband, who is in great shape, was winded. I thought that the top was just around the bend several times, but I was wrong; you won't know you are at the top until you are actually there. :) It is super rocky with some smooth rock surfaces to climb so make sure you have really good shoes on! Also, I probably wouldn't do this in the rain or after a recent rain; I could see where it would be really slick. But now for the good things: there are interesting fallen rock formations to see along the way; the view at the top is awesome and worth the agony of getting there!

Hiked 2 weeks ago. Relatively short hike, but a pretty consistent (steep) incline the majority of the way. Not a difficult, but you'll feel the burn. A lot of cool rock formations... We took an 8 year old that loved climbing around. The view from the top is great. Way too windy & cold to stay long though. Overall, a great hike.

nice hike, worth the views at the top. steep most of the way

Beautiful views at the top, if you're willing to go slightly off trail there are more views to be had. Steep at parts but definitely doable, just make sure you have shoes with traction for the way down! First mountain hike, was really great.

Great Hike! I am completing the fire-tower challenge and this was one of my favorite mountain to hike!

I have hiked it twice and it is a good hike. great excersize and the view is an amazing experience. just beautiful :)

A good hike, the traile deviated a little towards the top but overall a good hike

Trail was easy to follow. Could be challenging at times depending on your fitness level. But with taking breaks I believe any age can finish this. Well worth the view at the top. Even climbed inside the watch tower for an even better view!