Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

This is a serious uphill hike. Took us about an hour and a half to reach the tower. We had to rest frequently as it is strenous right from the beginning. Gorgeous hike though, so don't be discouraged. The view at the top is worth the work. I would not recommend hiking this during wet weather as most of the hike is on rock that looks like it could get very slippery.

Definitely a workout and the view from the top was amazing

i've heard that this mountain can get very crowded but we went in mid september and mid week and, except for one couple and a forest ranger, we had the summit all to ourselves. the view was breathtaking and while the climb was tough it was not impossible. the gps brought us to the wrong location and had to get directions from the local post office, my only complaint.

Great hike
Holiday weekend so I was glad we got an early start and left the dog home
I would rate this as a moderate hike
Fire tower was great could see as far south as Windam

A steady climb from the top to the bottom. The views are beautiful and totally worth it. Of course the fire house makes it extra special. Would do this again! Round trip around 3 hours. We started heading back around 5:00pm and the sun is already on the other side of the mountain. Lots of berries along the way :)

Although almost all gone, the raspberries are the best I've ever had. Blackberries were sour.

9 of us from 10 years old to 53 and we loved it. Steady incline from the beginning. A good workout and great views from the top including a fire tower. Would likely avoid on a rainy day, however.

Arrived at the trailhead around 2:30 pm. There were plenty of people on the trail but it didn't feel congested. It was a nice sunny day with low 70 temps.

The trail is well marked and wide enough to handle the number of people on the mountain. It is a rather steep rise and is rocky. The flat rock on the lower portion of the trail is interesting.

The view, as expected is awesome. A nice view of the Sacandaga. I nice clear day that offered endless miles of beautiful scenery.

I

Great hike with the boys today. Crazy amount of hikers out today but that's to be expected given its proximity to civilization and Labor Day weekend. Not sure what a non holiday weekend looks like but I'd imagine you'll always find a decent number of hikers out here any given day. Steady pitch from top to bottom.

Not my favorite. Hard but not super awful. Definitely closer to 4 miles round trip.

Nice but very steep trail!

Fun rapid rise trail. little steeper than we anticipated for a trail to knock the cobwebs off, but very rewarding views.

Like stair stepping, great exercise.

Breathtaking view once you make it to the top and the fire tower was awesome! I will say for this one you definitely have to work for it to make it to the top though! We took our son today and my husband carried him on his back the whole way and aside from being sweaty they enjoyed it greatly we also had our small dog with us who faired the trail very well. We loved how there were wild berries growing along the trail too though we didn't eat them.

Hiked it with 4 children under 9 yrs old. Great hike and view.

Great workout!