Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

51 minutes ago

Fun rapid rise trail. little steeper than we anticipated for a trail to knock the cobwebs off, but very rewarding views.

Like stair stepping, great exercise.

Breathtaking view once you make it to the top and the fire tower was awesome! I will say for this one you definitely have to work for it to make it to the top though! We took our son today and my husband carried him on his back the whole way and aside from being sweaty they enjoyed it greatly we also had our small dog with us who faired the trail very well. We loved how there were wild berries growing along the trail too though we didn't eat them.

Hiked it with 4 children under 9 yrs old. Great hike and view.

Great workout!

8-11-2016
91 as a high , humid , small breeze at times.

It was a good work out for 7 people. My 5 year old did it with good amount of breaks. A long with my 7, 9 , and 11 year olds. They did great. What awesome troopers. It was there real first , mountain hike !!!

8/9/16~Nice clear day, 80 sunny, low humidity. Steep
Incline all the way to the summit. Worth the hike as the view is beautiful. I logged 3.7 miles on my garmin. Lots of hikers on the trail, marked well

Great hike. Definitely a bit of a challenge for some but overall it was lovely!

We had a great time and the hike was just difficult enough for my girls and I

Perfect day, mid-summer dry 80's. slightly technical trail made for a enjoyable and rigorous hike. Fantastic views.

Pretty steep, much harder going down than up.

It was a great trail. Easy to follow. It was crystal clear at the top on this day. 7/24/16

Not a bad hike but hall engine if it's your first one of the season, as this is a fairly steep trail for at least the first half. Had to knock the rust off and muscle through the first half hour until I caught my breath. We went when it was wet and the smooth rocks didn't seem to be a problem. The summit is worth the hike with almost a 360 degree view and a fire watch tower where you can definitely see a 360 degree view. It was cold and windy though because I went in April

Great hike! Took 1 hour to go up about 2.2 miles and about the same to go down with 3 kids ages 9, 10 and 11.