Great Flats Nature Trail

Great Flats Nature Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Schenectady, NY that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Where woods meet wetland, habitats aboundso bring your binoculars and watch closely for birds, amphibians, and little animals as you circle this remarkable preserve. From the trailhead, a well-defined path is followed through woodland displaying a variety of plants and trees. The wooded area eventually gives way to wetlands and a small lake. Here the path becomes a boardwalk round the lake. The trail is a circular route of about 3 miles total, there are several

This was boring. Sadly, over grown. There is a split where if you go to your left it brings you to a road and they have a small fence close off for it, but no clear signage directing you to the right to stay on the path. My 4 year old son and I go hiking and this was extremely buggy mostly mosquitos. Quite bothersome. We only got part way on the trail and,were bored. Not sure if there was any scenery to be seen, but if there was unfortunately or maybe fortunately we did not get far enough to see it. We most definitely won't be returning to this trail.

This trail is full of ticks didn't even go a quarter mile and saw 4 ticks on my dog. And very buggy even with bug spray on. Other trails have way less. would not come here again.

I'd actually describe this as more of a loop. Needs some TLC in some areas especially where they put the wooden walkways. Bring bug spray and water proof boots as it can get wet in some areas.

September 2016 - do not go to this trail. Completely overgrown. Sections Impassible. I called the town to ask what is going on, and let them know. The wooden bridges/walkways are also crumbling and dangerous at this point. planks are all warped, numerous side rails missing

Pretty cool little trail for kids. brought my nephew. We saw some snakes,frogs, and neat insects.

Easy access. Dog friendly. Typical bugs for a hot Summer day. Trail around the "water" area is overgrown. Boardwalk needs some love. Railing missing in sections and a few footboards are rotten through. Must have been pretty before cattails took over the wetland area. We saw a small garter snake and a few frogs. Only passed one other family on the trail. Nice spot for a very easy nature walk. Looking forward to a Fall walk through the area. Nice overall.

Nice walk, the area is beautiful. Nice if you're looking for a small walk. But, nice to check off your list of trails and hikes.

Great trail - actually contiues around lake and back onto itself. Great bird blind at lake. Trail is clear, but not marked. Side trails made for some confusion on the way out. One wet spot that needs some trail maintenance, but the rest was wonderful.

Nothing too exciting, but good for a nice hour-ish walk with kids or a dog. Not strenuous at all, no elevation gain.

This trail wasn't that exciting as nothing really caught my attention. It's merely a 2 mile walk through grassland onto a boardwalk through the wetlands. A section of the boardwalk needed some tlc. I wouldn't do this trail again.

Nice flat walk with lots of birds and vegetation. I was able to walk with with a stroller. My daughter enjoyed the atmosphere, however it became quite buggy for a 10 month old!

A nice walk. Might be a good snowshoe spot in the winter. Dry the last few days so no mosquitoes but I can imagine at times there would be a lot. Map on All Trails is not accurate. We did 2.2 mile lollipop shaped walk...around the 2 ponds on the map. One boardwalk is in need of repair.

Wouldn't call it a hike , more of a walk through lightly wooded/ marshy area . It is decent little spot to go that's close and a nice short walk even though you can see some houses when the leaves are down . The bridges when I went seemed all in good condition except for the little "viewing platform " that was pretty dilapidated .overall nothing too impressive or "must" see but it was a good place to walk the dog(clean up please!) or just get out and move/take a stroll.

Great place if you live nearby and you have some time to kill. Easy walk, sometimes trails aren't fully maintained. Don't go a couple days after it has rained it tends to get muddy.

Easy flat hike through local Rotterdam, nature sights.

They took the abandon house down yes finally. This is primarily level walk even most cut grass. dogs welcome on leash. if it hasn't just rained there really not many bugs. this is a casual walk you will hear many birds a few bridges, nice for young children, I have even been here with a stroller. easy walk.

Pretty, relaxing walk. Nicely maintained trail.

Not impressed at all...there was nothing that jumped out at me that would make me want to go back there...very boring minus the abandoned house on the right side at the beginning of the trail...

I walked this trail with my mother and three of my nieces on a sunny afternoon. It was clear walking through most of it, but some of the bridges were run down and hard for the kids to cross. There was one that was completely broken and sunk in. We did not see no wildlife, just lots of bugs. Overall it was a nice walk in a peaceful environment that is well kept.