Grafton Lakes and Dunham Reservoir

Grafton Lakes and Dunham Reservoir is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cropseyville, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

canoeing

Our group of three set off from the parking area on Dunham Reservoir Rd to do the loop around the D. Reservoir: Double Bit to Johnson Rd to S. Dunham Trail. The Double Bit did not seem to be marked along the gravel road in any way, and we were a little confused and surprised to learn that we had to cross the Quacken Kill on marginally helpful rocks. 2/3 of us got at least one foot wet, so maybe should have gone with boots over toe shoes and hiking sandals (it was a cold, windy day in June). Once in the woods on the other side, we began seeing red trail markers on trees, so off we went with more confidence. We began seeing orange flagging hanging from trees, which in hindsight, may have been the way to go since it seemed to bypass the somewhat overgrown and unmarked trail that went around the perimeter of the peninsula in the middle of the reservoir. You could easily skip this if you don't want to bushwhack at all, but it was okay, and you certainly can't get lost since you're by the shore of the reservoir the whole time. Amazingly, we didn't pick up any ticks doing this. Once we got back to the more beaten path, the going was easy and the trail fairly well marked. We ate lunch at a fire ring on the shore not far off the trail, which was nice. We popped out onto Johnson Rd and found the entrance to S. Dunham easily enough. It was nice, but away from the lake, so less scenic -- maybe an argument for doing the loop in reverse if you want to end with the most scenic part and a stream crossing. The only unpleasant thing about this trail was that there were big patches where the trail was in a muddy ditch that the thick woods made it hard to get around easily -- another argument for sticking with Gortex boots. All in all, a nice loop that took us 3 hours with a leisurely lunch break and stops to double check GPS. Could be done in 2 +/-. The kayaking looks very nice, and we saw a solitary loon on the upper section. Nice!

Great Trail With Alot Of Good Fishing Spots. Def Will Be Going Back Soon.

Love it here. Nice walk around Grafton Lake. Look out for the veined quartz rock they're everywhere and beautiful

Nice and easy walk, we even took our 15 lb small dog for the trip and he had no problem.

I went mid-afternoon on a Saturday, the summer season had ended and while there were events going on the park was pretty quiet. My intention was to take the Long Pond (LP) trail from Eastern end of the beach to the Long Pond Connector (LPC) trail to the Nimo (NM) trail and finally to the Fire Tower (FT) trail. While the trails are pretty well marked, there were a few tricky spots. At the junction with the LPC trail, there were no trail markers, it was ground flags that caught my attention which eventually led me to seeing the blazes in the distance for the other trail. I reached a clearing that ran parallel with N Long Pond Rd which I expected to be the NM trail, but I didn’t find any blazes and the area north and south were very overgrown. I decided to follow N Long Pond Rd which is mainly used as a bridle path to the FT trail. The FT trail eventually leads you to a seasonal road where you pass a dwelling with a garage across the street. As you head further east, you reach a gate which no signage on the right, this leads to the Dickinson Hill Fire Tower. I would have passed this as well if not for two vehicle being parked next to the gate. The fire tower is 60 feet up and provides views great views in all directions.

canoeing

It was a nice, easy hike. We were able to do it in our flip-flops. The path is full of roots that have surfaced and stones to watch out for.

There is kayak and canoe rental available. If you're looking to kayak in a double, consider coming earlier because there is only one available.

We hiked around the Long Pond and to the fire tower which was amazing. This state park is absolutely spectacular!

Loop around the main lake is HORRIBLE for biking...
I am always up for a good challenge, but this was just ridiculous, sharp rock after sharp rock, no end, 2.5 miles of it. I wouldn't even suggest walking this.

Always new places to discover at Grafton!!! You'll never have a bad time whether your hiking, or swimming....many trails with various difficulty! There is a fee to enter the park, but once your in everything besides food and boat rentals is free to do!!! Picnic spots and a beach...Can't get any better than this!

Good easy trail, walks around the lake. Beautiful and peaceful.