Goodnow Mountain Trail

Goodnow Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

It started snowing half way up! The view from the top of the tower was of nothing, haha, but still beautiful in its own way. My dog and I LOVED the trail and are so glad we drove the 4 hours from Westchester.

Not a bad hike. Definitely an easier trail with a gradual incline up the mountain. While hiking, you will see two old abandon cabins. When you get to the second one you are almost to the top; within minutes. You can get into the top of the fire tower and the views are amazing! We went at the peak of fall and it was beautiful!

This trail is really worth it. I am not in shape and it took my 1:07 hours to get on top, was easier than I thought. The panoramic view from the fire tower is simple amazing, especially during this fall day. Do not think of doing this trail without climbing the fire tower or else you're going to regret it :)

Nice hike! Took about 1 hr, 45 minutes to get up and about an hour walk back. Beautiful views in the fall! A little slick with the leaves but not too bad. 10/5/2016, 60 degrees. Perfect hiking weather!

Goodnow Mountain Fire Tower, Newcomb, NY. #7 in the books, Kiaya #2. Trail is a moderate climb from the start. As you progress, the rocks and tree roots get larger. There are several wooden bridges. The trail is not well marked on the way up but seems to be better marked on the way down. It's easy to follow, not sure how it will be once the leaves cover the trail. Top of the Fire Tower is closed off. Gorgeous view from the top. 9/26/16. 54, sunny. Thought I was going to be chilly, I was wrong, I was sweating as this was a great workout, not too challenging No wildlife to be seen, 3 other couples on the trail. My dog, Kiaya, her 2nd Fire Tower!!

Beautiful views from the top! Great bang for your buck, because though the peak isn't very high and the trail is not very challenging, Goodnow is far enough from the high peaks and great range to afford some spectacular views. Don't make the mistake of not climbing the fire tower (don't worry, there's a false summit before it that is scary). Awesome for beginners, children, pets. Trail is very well kept and easy to follow. Would definitely go here again for a quick hike to an amazing vista!!!

Great trail, relatively easy climb, awesome view.

Goodnow Mtn is probably the first real hike I did as a child and 20+ years later I'm still doing it when visiting the lake house. Easy-moderate but a slow and steady pace makes it great for family. Certainly dog friendly, but my pup got into the handful of muddy spots - still there as of last weekend. The tower view does not disappoint and this is one of the sturdier ones!

Note: trailhead is about a half mile east on 28N of what All Trails has indicated, but still impossible to miss! :)

Moderate plus due to the fatigue that kicks in with the incline while navigating large slick rocks and tree roots. Overall a great challenging hike

Completed this on June 11 and was first hike of the season, was raining and foggy, couldn't see much but it was a great hike. A well defined and easy trail. Also, when you get to the top, there's a webcam set up by SUNY-ESF and I had full service on my phone!

Perfect hike for a quick trip into the woods for some nice views. Good hike for kids as well. The tower at the top offers amazing views but dont look down! can be done in under 2 hours if you are in good shape.

Nice trail, not sure why it's rated moderate. Length is deceiving, map says it's 2.7 miles out and back, but it's each way. We had planned on doing Blue Lake Mountain on the way home but didn't have time as this took twice as long as we anticipated. The view from the fire tower was breathtaking! It was a bit scary going up, focused on the step in front of me to make it to the top. So worth it!