Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail

Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, NY that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from June until March.

A moderate hike over varied terrain including open rock areas and several false peaks before you reach the summit. There are two trails - one slightly longer but less steep and one that is shorter but steeper. The views from the summit into the High Peaks region are excellent. You can also access Rocky Peak Ridge as part of your day hike - the mileage for this additional hike is not included in this total.

Took the Roaring Brook trail. Some what challenging and amazing views all the way up. One of my favorites, will do again and camp someday.

First at the trailhead at 7:15 this morning, hiked with headlamps for a good 20-30 minutes... difficult to find the trail markers going in and tough to find the trail at the beginning, especially with all of the fallen leaves. Once we crossed a rocky stream and ascended up a boulder to a great view, the hike got better but the weather got worse around 3500'-4000'. Gray clouds, rain-sleet, windy, ice on the slides (crampons came in handy!), and cold. Lots of layers (waterproof!) were a must and extra gloves would be handy and warm liquids. Our original plan was to go over to Rocky Peak Ridge, but with the turn of weather, we made the decision to go back down after we hit Giant's summit at 10:38am. Overall, rocky and great views on the way up... not as tough as I initially anticipated. Woo!

Also, we passed a lot of young kids (12-15 years old) in several different groups without proper hiking gear. I mean SEVERAL groups with just simple Nikes and other improper clothing. Hope they all made it down without any hiccups and after the weather near 4000' and higher.

I love this trail! It was very challenging. I started from the Roaring Brook trailhead north of Chapel Pond and got great views at the base and the top of the falls. From the top of Roaring Brook you can get great panoramas of Round and Noon Mark and the Great Range across Ausable Valley and the Ausable Club. I then followed the next 1.3 miles trail along the southern base of Giant's Washbowl and reconnected with the Ridge Trail to the top. The climb was more than moderate.. thank goodness for switchbacks, but once you hit the open ridge line the views are amazing! Once you pass the "over or around the bump" post the trail gets slick and icy as you ascent into the alpine. In fall or winter its good to carry micro spikes or crampons, otherwise the summit will be impossible. The view from Giant today was cloudy and serene. otherwise on a clear day you have a full 360 panoramic view.. this being the #12th highest high peak. Definitely worth the strenuous effort.

Was a bit harder than I thought. Took 4 hours to climb, 1h 45min was moving time at 3km/h pace...Definitely want to take your time enjoying the views. We were lucky enough to hit a day without any clouds. Trail was dry, would imagine this wouldn't be a nice one when wet. I think the Cascade and Porter hike was easier. Lots of open faced sections to traverse.

I would say this trail was a bit harder than I expected. It's pretty steep most of the way with few straightaways. With that being said, there were plenty of points along the way with very nice views. This reminded me of the big slide trail a bit where you were walking on open rocky ledges for a while. Overall a fairly difficult hike for not taking too long (4 hours up and back with a stop up top). About 3/4 of a mile in is a nice little pond in the valley after a steep climb to start. I'd do this on a nice day as you wouldn't want to waste the views on the way up.

Fairly steep hike but very pretty. Views at many points along the way. I actually didn't think the summit view was as good as the lower views from the various faces.

this is the same thing as crane Mountain

Well maintained, very steep and very busy as we did it saturday. A 4.5 hr affair at a good pace with time for lunch and pics. Many great views along the way.

don't need to be an experienced hiker. many great rock faces to catch views from however the summit was anti-climactic. fantastic beginner hike that only took 3 hours round trip

Amazing views of Gothics and valley below a little buggy near the top but not bad very steep climb near summit and we encountered our first black bear cub!! It was calling for its mama bear we couldn't see her so we headed back to the creek and hung out for a while until she came for the cub. My advice be alert be aware and stay away it was about 15ft from the trail.. could have been a dangerous situation,, awesome hike!

Hiked this yesterday, steep but beautiful views!

Awesome hike!

You sign in at the trail head and you start up. It's 3 miles to the top with some flats that seem to come at the perfect time. Lots of flat rock to walk on with few holders then other trails (a benefit in my opinion). It was dry so the steep flat rocks can be interesting when wet. I love the challenge but the payoff outside the peaks fro the Loj region is an -A rather then A. I actually think the south east views are the best with lots views from that direction on the way up and down. A few spots can use updated trail markers and the flat rock sections need the paint to be freshened up. A very good option if you have 6 hours
which includes rest and lunch at the top.

This was a moderate hike in some parts. There are rock scrambles and some steep sections. The trail had some slippery rocks in some sections. The views on top of Giant are very nice. I combined this hike with Rocky Peak Ridge and going down the backside of Giant is very steep
descent in some places. The trail for RPR was wet and muddy in places, plus the rock was wet also, so watch your footing. After hiking down Giant you start your ascent up to the bald summit of RPR which offers terrific views in all directions.