Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great first hike of the year.

I decided to bring along my good friend for his very first hike to Mount Beacon. Once we got up to the summit I decided to bring him over to the fire tower. Awesome hike up their! It was my second time and it doesn't get boring only better. I will say that it was kind of challenging due to the fact that there was a lot of ice and snow pack so it took almost twice the time to get up to the top, but once their it was well worth it the views are spectacular..! On a clear day you can see the NYC skyline 90 miles due south...
Although no motor vehicles are allowed we did run into a group of four wheel drivers with their Jeep Cherokee's at the summit and one or two ATVs. There were quite a bit of hikers up there and you do meet a lot of friendly people that are willing to help if you're not sure.
I do want to say thank you to Katie for giving me the heads up on certain landmarks and also for filling me in on this All Trails app.. thanks Katie..

Def steep - stairs & no stairs. Glad it was a fall day, as opposed to the summer, otherwise, it would've been more brutal. Nice views.

My husband and I started off in the early afternoon. So the trail was really quiet most of the way up. Large portions of this trail are extremely steep and slippery. It didn't help that we went the day after a heavy downpour of rain. The hike requires some scrambling when you get closer to the Fire Tower.

The views are breathtaking, which made the difficult hike all the more worthwhile. For those scared of heights, the tower didn't really add too much value to the view. The view at the base of the tower is only slightly less amazing than the top!

Fun hike, you can get here from the Breakneck trail which ends up being a pretty long hike in total. Nice views from the top of the firetower.

The first mile is tricky. Starts off with a nice park like walk and then some metal stairs before hitting the trail. After the first turn it gets very steep, rocky, and slippery. Once you get to the wheel house it is a much more relaxing hike until right near the former tower. The view from the tower is amazing! This was the first hike for my family; 9 and 7 year old boys and my wife. It is definitely not easy for a beginner but they were troopers. We went early (around 9am) and it was very peaceful. By the time we were heading back it was very crowded with people going up. Saw some deer and chipmunks but asides from that, not much to see until you get to the wheel house and then the tower.

Took my 5 year old and 3 year old daughters up to the fire tower. They absolutely loved the views and the experience. Highly recommend this hike. My girls and I have been doing long hikes every week, so I would rate this hike as moderate. Beautiful at the first look out, but going to the fire tower is 10x better.

Well the trail was very rockie and steep, I found it to be a bit difficult to the wheel house which is a bit past the half way point, I didn't get to the tower this time but I'll try when it's a bit cooler. Nice view, but I couldn't find the monument for the daughters of the American revolution (DAR).