Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, NY that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Def steep - stairs & no stairs. Glad it was a fall day, as opposed to the summer, otherwise, it would've been more brutal. Nice views.

My husband and I started off in the early afternoon. So the trail was really quiet most of the way up. Large portions of this trail are extremely steep and slippery. It didn't help that we went the day after a heavy downpour of rain. The hike requires some scrambling when you get closer to the Fire Tower.

The views are breathtaking, which made the difficult hike all the more worthwhile. For those scared of heights, the tower didn't really add too much value to the view. The view at the base of the tower is only slightly less amazing than the top!

Fun hike, you can get here from the Breakneck trail which ends up being a pretty long hike in total. Nice views from the top of the firetower.

The first mile is tricky. Starts off with a nice park like walk and then some metal stairs before hitting the trail. After the first turn it gets very steep, rocky, and slippery. Once you get to the wheel house it is a much more relaxing hike until right near the former tower. The view from the tower is amazing! This was the first hike for my family; 9 and 7 year old boys and my wife. It is definitely not easy for a beginner but they were troopers. We went early (around 9am) and it was very peaceful. By the time we were heading back it was very crowded with people going up. Saw some deer and chipmunks but asides from that, not much to see until you get to the wheel house and then the tower.

Took my 5 year old and 3 year old daughters up to the fire tower. They absolutely loved the views and the experience. Highly recommend this hike. My girls and I have been doing long hikes every week, so I would rate this hike as moderate. Beautiful at the first look out, but going to the fire tower is 10x better.

Well the trail was very rockie and steep, I found it to be a bit difficult to the wheel house which is a bit past the half way point, I didn't get to the tower this time but I'll try when it's a bit cooler. Nice view, but I couldn't find the monument for the daughters of the American revolution (DAR).

It was rough but very enjoyable. I loved the scenery and put a perfect start to my weekend there

It was a fantastic experience even though you marked as easy

Really steep non-stop incline. I liked this trail. I went around 930am on a Saturday. It was moderately busy. When I came down around 10:30am it was packed.

Lots of people here but it was a nice experience. I'll come back to see some of the other trails.

This trail was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be seeing it was listed as 'Easy'. Some areas were somewhat steep/slippery for small kids though my 4yr old daughter was a trooper! She didn't complain once all the way to the top! She really impressed me.
The incredible views were well worth the hike. We didn't make it to the Fire-tower. That'll be next time. I can't wait to go back again and try out my new Solamon Quest GTX2's.

Beautiful

1500 ft vertical in 1.5 miles gets your heart pounding. Enjoy the view from Beacon Mt.
A historical railroad once climbed this mountain to a casino to the top.

To take the hike over the top head to the top. Look back from the ridge and you will see the fire tower to the east. It's worth the hike. Climb to the top! There one can see up the river to Kingston, and down to the NYC skyline. Catskill's are also visible.