Elk Pen Loop Trail

Elk Pen Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuxedo Park, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Great climbs, Lemon Sqeezer, Mines, Lake, Swamps, Views, This was my second time hiking in Harriman. There are many trails to explore in the area. This hike I did today starts out on the A.T. were you climb up Green Pond Mt and then past Island Pong. The trail also takes you through the Lemon Sqeezer, a hole in some ledges that you have to push your way through and then a nice ledge to boulder up. Then the trails climbs up Island pond Mt and Surebridge Mt. Then I took the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail on Finger board and Hogencamp mtn. This stretch of trail has great views of the entire area. It is also the result of a forest fire some time ago. It is neat to see how the vegetation is coming back and you get to see how the landscape looks with very little trees. Then I took the Dunning tr. to the Boston Mine. From there I took the Arden-Surebridge tr. down Green Pond Mt were I saw 4-5ft Black Snake. The best part of the hike was the trails go through many Hemlock forest, past swamps and you get great climbs.

Beautiful and diverse trail. It's much longer than AllTrails says. Closer to 8.5 miles than 7. Some areas are more difficult than moderate but overall not hard.

Love it

The loop was great. Had great elevation and extremely beautiful to backpack through. The camping area was awesome as well with many to choose from. Very glad I did this loop

Really really great. So many different landscapes. But, I got lost. I don't know what I did. Ended up back at my car though with some help from my gps. Part of the trail was flooded and I had to go around. It was the red triangle trail.