Dyken Pond

Dyken Pond is a 2.7 mile loop trail located near Cropseyville, NY and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

easy hiking, close to home, varied ecosystems Dyken Pond was created after a dam was built to control the flow of the Poesten Kill for the the mills downstream. Today, it is the location of a nature preserve for the benefit of the public. It offers varied ecosystems for the casual hiker to explore - from beech-maple forests to spruce-fir swamps. Because of the location on the Rensselaer Plateau, it is often much cooler than lower elevations. A map and informational brochures are available at the kiosk near the parking area. I did a long counter-clockwise loop hike of the perimeter trails: Abbt Farm (unmarked), Otter Creek (yellow), Long Trail (white), Spring Trail (red), Long Trail (white) and finishing with a short road walk. From the parking area, head up the grassy hill and past the white building to begin this hike. If you continue walking past the barricade along the road, you will reach the canoe launch site on Dyken Pond in 5 minutes.

not a bad spot. very buggy but that is to be expected. very easy walk for all ages.

great for kids and dogs

My husband and I hiked for 3 hours with our 3 month old puppy. Easy and well marked trails! Peaceful and perfect.

great for kids and animals

Great hike. We started at the riverside walk, looped back around and took the white trail and then merged into the purple back to the parking area. We did about 4-5 miles in about two and a half hours. Even stopped a while for some Geocaching. The terrain was not too difficult. Rocky at some points so you have to keep your eyes on your feet at some points. Great experience and we'll be heading back soon to do the full white trail loop. Maybe even grab a canoe for a bit. Highly recommended.

Trails were nicely marked and it was easy to navigate. Paths were clear for the most part. Very peaceful with an occasional bench or rock to sit and relax. Will definately be visiting again soon!

Went hiking today. The trails were well marked in the beginning put once you hot over the beaver damn have to pay attention. The bride over the pond near the beaver dam is under water but my bf and I took our socks and shoes off then walked over . Our dog followed behind us and made it too. It was very peaceful and pretty forest .

We hike these trails all the time. It's a great family place!

It was a nice trail. Mostly maintained except for the bridges. Some were rotted and broke and the one that crosses wetland to the lean to and out house was submerged. Couldn't cross it. Had to back track. That was a little disappointing. But other than that....not horrible.

Beaver activity has flooded the wetland bridges...I've uploaded a couple pictures of it.

A Perfect place for everything You can hike, canoe, kayak, picnic, and there are all sorts of terrain to hike on, with interconnecting trails for miles. You should always grab a map in you're unfamiliar with the trails...You'll find a long bridge crossing over the water to a lean to, you will also come across the Grandfather rock and swamp lands with a beautiful lush forest around you. There are foundations that lead you to believe that back in the day people resided in houses that are now only left to our imagination to invision. 5 STARS in my book!!!

Lots of interconnected trails. Fairly well maintained. Definitely pick up a map at the information board near the parking area.

I felt this place had the potential to be a great hike but the trails were horribly marked (we saw two trail signs at the beginning of the hike and that was it) we found ourselves walking out of the woods and into someone's backyard. Also, I'm not sure if its because of the time of year we went but there were mosquitos everywhere! Make sure you bring bug spray!