Timp Trail

Timp Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tomkins Cove, NY that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.1 miles 2037 feet Loop

cave

I started at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area and hiked into Bear Mountain State Park via the Fawn trail. The Fawn trail intersects the Timp Torne trail which I followed South up the ridge leading to Western Mountain then turns East towards Jones Point overlooking the Hudson River.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great workout, being that it was a steady difficult incline as well as steep descent (on the blue). The views on the way up were unreal! My friend and I couldn't stop taking pictures. When you reach Timp's peak, you have a great (distant) view of Manhattan. I would recommend you bring food and water. It took us about 4 hours, with a few stops. I'd say it would be best if you are active already and have done a few hikes before. Enjoyed it!

Great trail with good views.

Great views

Great! Beautiful views

A good challenging preparatory trail for a larger backpacking trip, or hike. You can access west mountain, but the trail up, and down west mountain is a difficult scramble. With a thirty pound pack this trail is quite good, but I would recommend camping on west mountain.

Very challenging at times, specially at the beginning, yet so worth it for the amazing sunrise and sunset views! Didn't encounter any wild life. I'll definitely do it again

I parked on 202 just past the anchor monument and took the Timp-Torne trail to The Timp and went back the same way. I initially wanted to go back on the RD, which I will do eventually, but unfortunately I was on a bit of a time constraint. The one negative about this hike is the pollution on the Hudson and the sound of the train because it somewhat takes away from being on a mountain. The trail has a lot of steep inclines and declines, but the switchbacks really help. The abandoned spiral railway sections are cool as well. The Timp is the star of this trail and to be honest it's one of the better views I've ever seen. Will definitely be going back.

great hike

I started on the Timp and connected to ramapo dunderberg to go around dunderberg mountain. The hudson views were beautiful. You also have a spot on the other side of the mountain that gives you nice views of bear mountain. It was pretty quiet too not crowded at all. I went on a foggy morning so the views were a little hard but I heard at the first lookout on a clear day you can see nyc. Overall it was pretty strenuous but fun!

We combined the Timp, Bald Mountain and Dunderburg Mountain in one hike. Ended up hiking total of 8.5 miles (all strenuous ups or downs). Proper footing is recommended not only because of rocky trails all the way but we stumbled upon a 300 yards of steep descend on man-made bed of rocks (Railway stuff?) at the last part of our hike and was really difficult for our tired legs.

We personalized an extended loop hike that ended up being about 17 miles. This was a pretty challenging day trip.

We drove into the Fort Montgomery historical site and parked. From there we took the 1777 Historical Trail, which is the red, until it met up with Timp Trail. Timp offered a pretty nice summit climb and good views. We looped around Timp and followed the Timp Trail (blue) allllllll the way down south to where it connected with the Appalachian trail, made the hard left, and started north on the AT. We then followed the AT all the way back to the bear mountain parking lot, and made a sorta risky 1 mile road walk back to the Montgomery Site.

Overall it was nice. Good mix of rocks and wooded trail. As a fit 20 year old this was hard but not too bad. Lots of ascents and descents on this path we took.... Our path was definitely the most difficult way around Bear Mountain Park, but we saw most of the park.

Decent route. Good views of the Hudson. Trail head not well marked.

It was a challenging trail but great views.
Didn't see any wildlife but still worth doing if your looking for a trail with good mileage & steep trails along the way

Did a partial hike of the Appalachian Trail, Timp, and Fawn. Was a great loop of about 6 miles starting at Anthony Wayne Rec area. The descent of the AT, with all the little streams, on the east side was great.

Good hike with great views of the Hudson, Bear Mountain Bridge and if you squint on a clear day NYC skyline. It is a good loop if you are looking for a hike that is 4-5 hours with a couple elevation changes.

It's a great trail but strenuous, beautiful views. We did it in September excellent weather. Go early so you take all the rest you want.

Great hike! I thought it was longer than 8 miles though. It's doesn't have as much of a high elevation gain as some hikes but fantastic all the same. The views are great!