Devil's Path Trail

Devil's Path Trail is a 19.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hunter, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

19.6 miles 7830 feet Point to Point

Did a short section of the Devils Path on the return from Hunter Mtn. Was very rocky and was in a gully. There were many chances to bypass the gully by walking on the edges. Rough on the knees as you rock hop down the trail trying to avoid the leaves that cover the loss rock underneath.

Did the loop that involved part of the Devils Trail. One mike section has a 1200 foot incline. Make sure you have really good boots Difficult hike, limited views

I decided to create this as a new trail because the other "Devil's Path" trail on Alltrails is inaccurate. It misses two large parts of the trail. Also, I would consider this a point to point trail, not an out and back...

Anyway, on to the review...

This is a difficult trail, but not because of its length, but rather its steep elevation ascents and descents. Starting from the East side (Prediger Road Via Indian Head), there are many knee-busting descents which can lower anyone's moral.

I didn't finish it due to this reason, but I'll be back.

It has beautiful rock formations that create several cliffs and overhangs...

The Mink Hollow Shelter is really nice too. It even has an outhouse.

I suggest wearing boots with good ankle support, and trekking poles as well. However, the trekking poles can be useless at points due to the steep descents where you'll have to scramble and use your hands for safety.

I will update this review soon, once I get a chance to complete the trail. 07/15/16

Awesome

East section from Prediger Road to Devils tombstone camping in 1 day. July 12. Hard. Much scrambling. Only Plateau mountain has level section. Found water at Mink Hollow

did a portion from rt 214 to platue mountain
6mi round trip. 1800' elevation change. pretty aggressive for me. first hike of the season. nice hike with a couple of good views

So, not sure I'd call this the hardest hike on the East Coast, nor the most dangerous, but it was a nice challenge. Two friends and I started this trail at the Eastern Terminus on Prediger Road on Friday night, hiked in about a mile and a half to where the Devil's Kitchen Lean To is (slightly off the main trail), and slept for the night. Woke up around 6:30am next day, and we were on the trail by 8am. Indian Head was a tough climb, and it took us a bit to get into our rhythm, but we set a good pace, and finished the hike from Devil's Kitchen Lean-to (over Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau) to arrive at Devil's Tombstone Campground by 6pm. We look a few long breaks at the overlooks along the way to relax and eat since we weren't in any particular rush. Stopping at Devil's Tombstone for the night was nice. Since we arrived with a couple hours of daylight left, we were able to relax some more and enjoy a fire. Next morning, woke up a bit later at 7:30am and were on the trail by 8:30am. The hike up Hunter Mountain that morning was probably my low point, and the most challenging of the ascents for the weekend. Getting to the waterfalls in between Hunter and West Kill was a perfect place to lounge for a bit and cool off in the water mid-morning before getting back on the trail. Getting to Buck Ridge lookout on West Kill was certainly the highlight of the weekend. We spent close to an hour there for lunch before finishing up the last 4.5 miles of the trip. We ended around 4pm back at one of our parked cars at Spruceton Road at the Western Terminus.

Overall, although the up-and-down of the six mountains was challenging, it certainly wasn't the *most* challenging trail, in my opinion. Although, maybe if you do it as a day hike, it could be considered so. I still enjoyed it, and the many rock scrambles and chutes were fun. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something that will kick their butt and push them a bit harder :-)

Finished this yesterday during ideal conditions. The trail is quite overrated both in difficulty and beauty. Poor views compared with White Mountains or nearby Burroughs Range Loop. Often described as 'the most dangerous hike in the US, perhaps because the mountains and region has 'kill' in the name, but the only danger on this trail is of dying from boredom from the tedious ups and downs. Some interesting rock formations along the trail are its only merit.

This hike definitely hold its name. I only packed 22 lb and started my hike with my husband who carried about 35lb.. This was our make or break of marriage... I trained myself physically for over two months as I was preparing for Mt. Baker in July so this was a part of our training. It was intense, the first night (Friday) we hiked 6 miles looking for somewhere to camp overnight (150ft from trail) hiked the next 14 miles saturday and it was hell due to the rain from 2 days ago... it was raining in and out making the terrain even more rugged.. It definitely made me appreciate myself more as a person by the 3rd day Sunday when we managed to get off I had already made the decision for divorce.. and it was the best decision ever!!! That hike kicked my a$$ but made me so much stronger!! hahahaha was my personal killer retreat!

2 days with a 40 lb pack. Def a extreme challenge. If you want something more challenging I suggest you give pemi loop in NH a shot. Overall an awsome experience.

Great view. Tough hike

7 Catskill peaks, 23 miles in the toughest hiking trail in the East. Devil's Path isn't for the feint of heart. With 14,000 feet of elevation change and five peaks over 3,500 feet (two more accessible via short detours), it's considered the most dangerous hiking trail in the East. There's little water, difficult scrambles using hands and feet, and sheer cliffs. But it also boasts spectacular views, remote plateaus and a challenge for even the most experienced hiker.

The path crosses five peaks with deep valleys in-between, some dropping thousands of feet. There are lean-tos to spend the night along the route. The trail is divided in two sections, the eastern "classic" section with four peaks and the western section with one peak. In the middle is state Route 214 with the Devil's Tombstone Campground, a state facility open from mid May to the end of August.

The most challenging 14 miles I've ever endured. Don't underestimate the full trail which is about 25 miles. I attempted to tackle this feat in a day with my brothers and we accepted defeat after running out of water and super achy knees at road 214. It was a great experience with awesome views and diverse landscape. Would do again...over 2 days.

Challenging and scenic route.

Great hike, but this app shows it as a moderate 3.3 mile hike. In truth it's closer to 25 miles and although it has a few miles of moderate it's generally regarded as a solid "difficult" with nearly 18,000 of elevation change over its length, spanning 7 peaks. The trail starts at prediger road, and ends at spruceton road. The green dot on the map is generally accepted halfway point, and where most people layover for a the night. It's a long hike for one day, plan on staying at the campground on 214. After the brutal descent before you get to 214 that ratty little campground will be heavenly.