EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Crane Mountain Loop Hike

Crane Mountain Loop Hike is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, NY that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October.

cave

Beautiful Southern Adirondack trail with natural stone bridge, cliff ladders and a spring fed mountain ridge pond. Loop trail beginning at the trailhead at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY.

Lots of rock scrambling with a couple of cool (and sturdy!) ladders. Shoes with good grips are extremely helpful. Steep, but pretty short. Gorgeous view at the top. :)

it was a medium difficulty course but offered many points for which to see great peaks.

Lots of rock scrambling, pretty steep. beautiful view, and the ladders were fun :)

This was a very fun hike. It starts to be steep right away and with the big rocks it makes a challenging altough short hike (under 3 hrs). Splendid view on top

This is a great hike. The hike to the summit is intense (especially if wet). However it is fun and relatively short. In no time you are rewarded with truly amazing views. We saw two other people the entire time (Wed morning, arrived at 6am).

The hike down is easier and the lake is beautiful. My only complaint here is the very poor trail markings guiding you along the rest of the loop. We ended up on a crossover that put us back on the main summit near the hardest part of the climb. Continuing the loop would have been nice, maybe next time.

All in all. Awesome. I added pics to the many already on here of the amazing views.

Good hike, about medium difficulty. A couple of points: the last two miles to the trailhead are a steep, narrow dirt road. It badly strained our minivan's transmission. I would strongly recommend four-wheel drive SUV. The hike up is steep but not that hard. Ladders are fun. Takes about an hour. Views at top are great. The loop back down is much longer, about three hours, and quite steep at times. Hard on older knees (40's, decent shape). Loop back is also very poorly marked. Advice: the loop back continues parallel to the summit ridge. look for the red blaze, but it is hard to find. once you find the first blaze, trail is easy to follow, although still poorly marked.

Hiked this with husband and 3 kids (ages 10, 9 and 7.) We took the summit route first and then the pond. It's a difficult hike but our kids made it look easy with us following behind. Amazing views! A must for any hiker!

This is one of my all time favorite hikes, what a great experience. Check out my full review which includes directions and other things to look out for.

This was a great 3,5 hour hike (with two stops, one at the summit, and the next at the pond). The trail starts really steep if you take the right, and you will climb non-stop for 45 minutes till you hit the summit. The rest of the hike is a gradual descent. So depending if you want to hit the cardio early, and have it easy on your knees after, I would reccommend that way around the loop.

The pond was full of leeches.

I thought this was a fun, challenging hike! I took the trail straight to the summit, so I didn't have to go down the ladder on the decent. I'm not sure this was a great decision because the blue trail was very rough and steep going down. I recommend going to the pond first, then to the summit! I went early on a Saturday and was expecting it to be very crowded, but I barely saw anyone! I did lose the trail head on the decent once, so if you're like me and like to space out during your hike, just make sure you're following the blazes! Overall a very great hike with interesting scenery, great views, and a fun challenge!

This was soooo hard!!!"

Fun but certainly challenging. The ladder looks big but in person is no big deal.

I thought this hike was fun and challenging. I was hesitant because i am afraid of heights but the ladder was not scary. The hardest part was the descent. We did the loop and i think the next time we will return via the ladder trail. The blue trail down was hard due to a lot of pine needles making the trail slick. The view was awesome!

really steep in some areas..fun ladders to climb but the view is worth it