EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Crane Mountain Loop Hike

Crane Mountain Loop Hike is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, NY that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October.

cave

Beautiful Southern Adirondack trail with natural stone bridge, cliff ladders and a spring fed mountain ridge pond. Loop trail beginning at the trailhead at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY.

wicked steep. great fun. we were about to try and go swimming at the lake on top but we were like oh yeah snakes.

We had our three year old daughter with us which made it more difficult for us at times. She did great for her age and climbed a lot of rocks and stairs herself!

The climb is challenging for sure. Lots of rocky sections. We didn't do the whole loop due the the time restraints and went down the same way we came up - the red trail. Not sure if some sections are harder to climb or come down.

Whatever trail you decide to do one thing is certain - at the end you will feel accomplished!

Nice short hike, although I didn't I was getting myself into rock climbing and came with running shoes. But the weather was fine and I had no issues with footing. I ended up going 3.2 miles off the GPS in a little under 2 hours.....I was hustling a bit and just stayed on top for about 10 mins. Went straight to summit -- getting lost for about five mins when I lost track of the markers........then went along the ridge and down to the pond. At that point I started to go towards the road, but I wasn't sure if this was a wild goose chase so I headed back via the sign that said Summit/Parking lot. This ended up being a little painful going down the steep rocks that I came up earlier, but I was over pretty quick. I assume going the other direction at the pond was a bit longer in distance but easier on the body, not sure. honestly, I am still not sure I went the "right" way on the way back..........I felt bad for the folks carrying a lot of stuff (including little kids) up that climb! I saw a few dogs...lighter dogs are probably fine...one guy had to carry his yellow lab up the ladder a bit.....my 65 lab would have been hurting a bit, so I would tend to say not really great for many dogs.

Well worth the effort; fantastic views from multiple vantage points.

Great hike! Very rocky and can be very difficult. Took a total of 3 hours, including spending some time at the summit. Ladders are easy and the view at the summit is exceptional!

DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG ON CRANE MOUNTAIN!

it was a medium difficulty course but offered many points for which to see great peaks.

Lots of rock scrambling, pretty steep. beautiful view, and the ladders were fun :)

This was a very fun hike. It starts to be steep right away and with the big rocks it makes a challenging altough short hike (under 3 hrs). Splendid view on top

This is a great hike. The hike to the summit is intense (especially if wet). However it is fun and relatively short. In no time you are rewarded with truly amazing views. We saw two other people the entire time (Wed morning, arrived at 6am).

The hike down is easier and the lake is beautiful. My only complaint here is the very poor trail markings guiding you along the rest of the loop. We ended up on a crossover that put us back on the main summit near the hardest part of the climb. Continuing the loop would have been nice, maybe next time.

All in all. Awesome. I added pics to the many already on here of the amazing views.

Good hike, about medium difficulty. A couple of points: the last two miles to the trailhead are a steep, narrow dirt road. It badly strained our minivan's transmission. I would strongly recommend four-wheel drive SUV. The hike up is steep but not that hard. Ladders are fun. Takes about an hour. Views at top are great. The loop back down is much longer, about three hours, and quite steep at times. Hard on older knees (40's, decent shape). Loop back is also very poorly marked. Advice: the loop back continues parallel to the summit ridge. look for the red blaze, but it is hard to find. once you find the first blaze, trail is easy to follow, although still poorly marked.

Hiked this with husband and 3 kids (ages 10, 9 and 7.) We took the summit route first and then the pond. It's a difficult hike but our kids made it look easy with us following behind. Amazing views! A must for any hiker!

This is one of my all time favorite hikes, what a great experience. Check out my full review which includes directions and other things to look out for.

This was a great 3,5 hour hike (with two stops, one at the summit, and the next at the pond). The trail starts really steep if you take the right, and you will climb non-stop for 45 minutes till you hit the summit. The rest of the hike is a gradual descent. So depending if you want to hit the cardio early, and have it easy on your knees after, I would reccommend that way around the loop.

The pond was full of leeches.