Crane Mountain Loop Hike

Crane Mountain Loop Hike is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, NY that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October.

cave

Beautiful Southern Adirondack trail with natural stone bridge, cliff ladders and a spring fed mountain ridge pond. Loop trail beginning at the trailhead at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY.

I wound up doing about 5 miles on the loop, going the long way around the pond and detouring to the cave west of the pond. It took me about three hours, but this is not a hike for those looking for an easy walk in the woods. There is a lot of rock scrambling, and doing it in the fall with leaves everywhere made for a few slips. Great views at the top though.

Lots of fun! Did the whole loop yesterday with a friend, going straight up to the summit first before hiking down to the pond and completing the large loop. Views are fantastic at the summit. Lots of fun scrambling on the way up. Ladders are cool. If you take the large loop, there is a small cave at the bottom! We went inside it and hung out for awhile. The pond is beautiful and there are many great camp sites all around it.

Loved it. Steep. But the views where worth it

Beautiful. Lots of rock scrambling but very worth it.

wicked steep. great fun. we were about to try and go swimming at the lake on top but we were like oh yeah snakes.

We had our three year old daughter with us which made it more difficult for us at times. She did great for her age and climbed a lot of rocks and stairs herself!

The climb is challenging for sure. Lots of rocky sections. We didn't do the whole loop due the the time restraints and went down the same way we came up - the red trail. Not sure if some sections are harder to climb or come down.

Whatever trail you decide to do one thing is certain - at the end you will feel accomplished!

Nice short hike, although I didn't I was getting myself into rock climbing and came with running shoes. But the weather was fine and I had no issues with footing. I ended up going 3.2 miles off the GPS in a little under 2 hours.....I was hustling a bit and just stayed on top for about 10 mins. Went straight to summit -- getting lost for about five mins when I lost track of the markers........then went along the ridge and down to the pond. At that point I started to go towards the road, but I wasn't sure if this was a wild goose chase so I headed back via the sign that said Summit/Parking lot. This ended up being a little painful going down the steep rocks that I came up earlier, but I was over pretty quick. I assume going the other direction at the pond was a bit longer in distance but easier on the body, not sure. honestly, I am still not sure I went the "right" way on the way back..........I felt bad for the folks carrying a lot of stuff (including little kids) up that climb! I saw a few dogs...lighter dogs are probably fine...one guy had to carry his yellow lab up the ladder a bit.....my 65 lab would have been hurting a bit, so I would tend to say not really great for many dogs.

Well worth the effort; fantastic views from multiple vantage points.

Great hike! Very rocky and can be very difficult. Took a total of 3 hours, including spending some time at the summit. Ladders are easy and the view at the summit is exceptional!

DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG ON CRANE MOUNTAIN!

it was a medium difficulty course but offered many points for which to see great peaks.

Lots of rock scrambling, pretty steep. beautiful view, and the ladders were fun :)

This was a very fun hike. It starts to be steep right away and with the big rocks it makes a challenging altough short hike (under 3 hrs). Splendid view on top

This is a great hike. The hike to the summit is intense (especially if wet). However it is fun and relatively short. In no time you are rewarded with truly amazing views. We saw two other people the entire time (Wed morning, arrived at 6am).

The hike down is easier and the lake is beautiful. My only complaint here is the very poor trail markings guiding you along the rest of the loop. We ended up on a crossover that put us back on the main summit near the hardest part of the climb. Continuing the loop would have been nice, maybe next time.

All in all. Awesome. I added pics to the many already on here of the amazing views.