Christie Mine - Big Hill Loop

Christie Mine - Big Hill Loop is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, NY and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Christie Mine, Old Mine Road, Big Hill Shelter From the car, I followed the Old Mine Rd (now a pipe/power line route) northeast towards the Christie Mine, once the biggest in the area. The road gently ran up and down the hills it was built to bring the iron ore to Ladentown. I could only imagine the hard days these miners had. After seeing the remains of the mine, I continued to where the Long Path enters the park. I crossed Horse Chock Creek and passed the ruins of the Call Family Farm. I followed the LP to the top of Big Hill. Mountain Laurel filled the woods with it's scent. At the shelter there, I took the Suffern-Bear Mtn trail over Ladentown Mtn. I passed the shores of the Third Reservoir. There were many butterflies in this area, clinging to rocks and trees. to the Red Arrow Trail. This lead me to the Tuxedo Mt Ivy Trail. I climbed to Eagle Rock and then descended towards the Old Mine Rd. Along the way, I passed a stream which ran under the rocks. The rocks thundered with the sound of the water below.

Half the trail is along a road and natural gas pipeline, not fun at all. The parts along actual park trails are nice. Do yourself a favor and download the park trails map so you can create something better.

Great walk in the woods. Take the kids and put the little one on your shoulders