Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail

Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is on a nature preserve made possible by the Lake George Land Conservancy. The trail coincides with the the Thomas Mountain trail up to a clearing some 0.75 miles from the trailhead. Both mountains have far range views, especially on a clear day, and Lake George is easily seen.

This preserve has grown in popularity to the point that parking can be a challenge. The view from the top of Cat Mountain is outstanding though. Moderate hike to Cat, less challenging if you are just going to Thomas Mountain.

The view from the top is worth it.

Took about 40 minutes to hike up Thomas Mountain and then an hour from there to Cat Mountain.

If you take directions from here on the app it will bring you right to the parking lot.
From there we took the orange trail to the yellow trail to the blue trail straight up to Cat. The yellow and orange trails were very pleasant to walk along, the hike didn't get strenuous until the last leg once we got close to the summit and were on the blue trail. The trails aren't perfectly marked so keep an eye out for the markers.
The view is beautiful and the summit wasn't too crowded at all, for a while it was just us so it was nice and quiet to just soak in the view. Overall a very nice hike that took roughly 3.5 hours to hike up.

Climbed the logging road up to Thomas. Was a workout going up with loose rock. Not to much to see on the way up until you come to the summit. Beautiful views. Quaint little cabin up top with an out house. Next time might backpack and stay the night. Took the blue trail through the woods back down. Beautiful view stop along the way. Beautiful hike through the woods. My Yorki and 13 year old had no issues.

It was a hard hike but really beautiful views.

We hiked Thomas and Cat on Saturday, 6/25/16. We started as a group of six, the oldest being 70 (my Mum) and the youngest being 8 (my Daughter), taking the orange trail to the blue "Two Brothers" trail to the spur then the cabin at the top of Thomas. The cabin is a spectacular spot for a scenic picnic, which is what we did there while we enjoyed the view and watched some turkey buzzards flying overhead. There were a few other people up there but it wasn't a zoo. Since some members of our group were not frequent hikers, we avoided taking the blue trail onto Cat from the cabin, instead taking the orange trail back to they yellow trail. Along the orange trail we had the pleasure of catching a glimpse of a doe and her fawn leaping out of the trail into the woods. At the junction of the orange and yellow trails, the non-frequent hikers announced that they'd had enough for one day and they took off toward the parking lot. My mother and I continued along the yellow trail to Cat. The yellow was mostly easy, then got bit rockier later on, then we were re-routed onto the blue toward the end, which was rather challenging at times but nicer scenery since I have a thing for forests (and shade on a hot day). Our hard work paid off, the views from the summit of Cat are magnificent. We lingered for a while - had snacks and water, took a selfie, enjoyed the views from several angles, basked in our glory, then returned the way we came. Unlike some recent hikers we had no issues with bees or yellow jackets. We did see and hear quite an array of wildlife in addition to the deer: a red spotted newt, two types of toads, bullfrogs, a mallard duck with ducklings, a woodpecker, various other birds, and dragon flies. By the time we returned to the parking lot we had hiked a little over five hours, including our indulgent breaks at the summits. This was a great hike and I highly recommend it: the trails are well marked, the cabin is nicely maintained, the views are fabulous, it was not overcrowded on a Saturday in summer, and the chances of seeing some wildlife are high.

Don't go on this hike if you are allergic to bees! I recently hiked up the mountain and to my surprise it seemed as if their were a million bees. I also got attacked by a swarm of them!

Too many bees!

Wasn't real bad, got to top and the whole area was covered by bees. If your allergic, be careful

Climbed just Thomas, went up the blue trail and came down the orange. Most of the trail is exposed to sun so there was no ice or snow and very little mud. It was a great day for a hike and the views are awesome from the cabin. A total of 3.2 miles and an hour and a half.

9 miles to do both men's. and back to park

nice hike, incorrectly marked as moderate. mostly wide trail. I would classify as easy