EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Cascade to Porter Mountain Trail

Cascade to Porter Mountain Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4,098 feet, Cascade Mountain (ADK #36 @ 4,098') and Porter (ADK #38 @ 4,059') are two of the easier high peak trails and very popular. The Cascade Trail can be steep st times with a few easy rock scrambles but it is not an overly tough trail. There is an excellent waterfall along the trail and amazing views at the summit. You can turn around and head back down or continue on to Porter for another High Peak. The trail to Porter is not as heavily traveled and offers some excellent woods. These two 46er's a good start for you list as they are right off Rt. 73. This 4,098' tall peak along with it's neighbor Porter at 4,084 are great starter peaks for aspiring 46ers as they are close to the road an a relatively easy climb, albeit steep. When you get to the junction and you are tired take the time to rest on Cascade and continue on to Porter as this is the easiest way to get both mountains.

58 seconds ago

40 minutes ago

This was a very good hike for beginners and very rewarding. There a few points before the summit that you can stop and look out on your progress. The actual summit has a nice 360 view but can be a bit windy. The extra half mile or so to porter is a little narrow but is clear enough to navigate. The view there is not as nice as cascade but has a good spot to stop and soak it all in. I would do porter first and save cascade for last as it is the better of the two.

Again, it's a nice short hike that is a pretty constant steady incline and could be done easily in less than 5 hours.

Everything it's said to be. Wonderful hike and great views from the bald summit. Many people on the trail and on top.

nice and easy hike. I thought cascade had a much better view from the top but had a good time doing both.

Made this tour mid September.

The trails and the peaks were pretty populated - Porter less than Cascade Mtn.

For those who have not made that hike yet, I recommend to hike both, and I would first make Porter. Though both peaks are beautiful, the overview from Cascade is more impressive and should be the highlight at the end.

This is an amazing trail! The view at the top is amazing too. you have to try this for sure !!:)

Great views on Cascade for a relatively easy trek (as the High Peaks go)!

It took my girlfriend and I 1 hour and 40 minutes to get to the summit of cascade. It was extremely windy and foggy, visibility was poor and about 58 degrees. We then headed over to Porter which yielded a completely different View.. It was clear and we could see everything including the peak of Cascade and people on it... We started out at 8am on Sunday 9/11/2016 and there were only a few people
Headed up the mountain. It was very very busy when we were heading down around 11:30am! It was a great first mountain for my girlfriend and I to do together

Great day out - bring a good picnic for the summit!

Two and a half hours to the summit of Cascade with my wife and our 4 and 6 year old kids! Left at 7:30AM to make sure we had plenty of time. Hit the summit of Porter as well, which added a couple extra hours to the trip. All in with 30-45 minute breaks at each summit and lots of short 5 minute breaks, we were back to the trailhead in 7.5 hours. A great challenge for the kids. Loved it!

Harder than it looks, lots of rocks . The views are awesome. Took us over 4 hours to climb. It was our first peak. We met the nicest folks , so helpful and friendly.

Cascade was our first high peak! The length might be the shortest, but it is still a pretty decent hike. Not at all easy. The view from the top is amazing. 1 down, 45 to go!

I hiked to Porter first. Psychologically it was easier for me to do it that way. The view is beautiful, but not as powerful as the view from Cascade. The trail forks at the top and is marked. It is .7 to the right to get to Porter and .3 to the left for Cascade. I suggest doing both. You'll feel pretty good about it! I was a little intimidated because every person coming down said the hadn't done both. One group said they attempted, but were confused as to where the actual summit was so they turned back and went to Cascade. I'm grateful I plugged on because, with some advice from people hiking back from Porter, it wasn't bad at all.

Some people behind me were confused because by taking the right trail to Porter, you at first start to descend. Don't worry! You'll head back up soon enough! The trail eventually brings you to a large, cliff like Boulder on the left with trees on the right. You can for around the left of the boulder and get some nice views, or so I was told. If you continue following the path it will lead to what feels like he summit. The ground is clear and there is a decent view of the people enjoying the views on Cascade. If you follow the trail further you will reach the actual summit, which isn't marked. It's worth finding. It's an easy, beautiful way of getting in two High Peaks in one hike.

Then on to Cascade! The last leg of the trip is fairly steep and just rock. Be sure to follow the yellow paint marks on the ground because it will keep you clear of vegetation. The views are incredible! It can get very windy and cold so pack a sweatshirt or jacket. The entire hike up to both peaks took me about 1:40.

I almost forgot! The hardest part for me was finding the trail head lol. I was in the further parking lot. You go into the trail, then hike to the left about 250 yards. The trail forks and to the right the trail is much bigger and ascending so I automatically followed it up. Once I figured that out I found the trail right away.

Cascade is the High Peaks beginner mountain, but don't let that fool you. If your not accustomed to hiking the high peaks or a serious hiker you'll find it challenging but extremely rewarding. I'd wager that Cascade gives the most bang for the buck (read: reward for effort) of any High Peak (maybe Big Slide via the Brothers beats it out, maybe. It's a much longer hike for only one peak). You get beautiful 360 views and a bare alpine summit on cascade and a bonus peak in porter with decent views south. The trail will be busy on weekends so go on weekdays if you can. If you want solitude hike Allen, this isn't the peak for you, but you get about everything else.

Rough in some spots but the views were totally worth it! Only wish we could have stayed longer, got a late start. But what an amazing trek!