Breakneck Ridge Trail

Breakneck Ridge Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beacon, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

rock climbing

Take route 9d to the breakneck ridge train station - parking is there

Great hike, beautiful views. No poles needed.

I remember Breakneck Ridge having a challenging start, super inclined but worth every minute. It was during my training and I remember it cold so it was the perfect day for training for my trip to Mt. Baker. Definitely love this trail it was descending it was still awful with trekking poles! But I still had a great time!

As good as it gets in the Hudson Highlands. May not be appropriate for dog smaller then Lab. Awe inspiring views.

loved it

Breakneck Ridge Trail is a great idea for your day off. My buddy and I arrived at 12:30 PM and finished around 330-4 (we had lunch at the summit)
The trail starts off with a tough vertical obstacle, approx. 50% of the climb you will find yourself on "all fours" or at least using one hand to assist yourself. After about an hour you should reach summit(2 great lookouts before peak), only to have to walk back around, then down, a beautifully marked scenic route .

During the 3ish hour hike we only saw about 7-10 people.

DON'T LET THIS TRAIL SCARE YOU !
I wouldn't say this is a easy hike, but if you have all day it can easily be done with periodic stops, and summit is a perfect spot to have lunch (always take your trash with you!)

Trail maps located at entrance .

I am not a very experienced hiker and in the past heights gave me the heebie jeebies but now that I did this I feel anything is possible. Don't get me wrong, this hike is no joke when it comes to the incline going up. That being said, it was worth every moment. The views are incredibly beautiful. We took the white all the way up, then yellow to red trail down. At some points I wondered if we were ever going to start going down but don't give up it's heck of a lot easier to go down the yellow/red trail as opposed to going down the way you came.

Tips... wear good shoes, bring water and take your time. There is so much to see if you love nature like me you're going to want to take it all in:)

Park along the road and get there early between 8 and 9.... Gets busy later. There are porta-potties at trail base.

Make sure you have proper shoes as you will need grip for climbing.

There are 4 peaks each with a great view. ( follow white trail blazes for climbing).
The hike is most strenuous in the beginning while climbing to peak 1. (Has an American flag).

The peaks get progressively easier to climb as you go.
The best views, in my opinion, are from peak 2 and 3.
After peak 3 you can go right and head down under-cliff trail (yellow trail blaze) back to the road. ...Or you can continue up to peak 4 (very short climb). About a half mile or so past peak 4 you can make a left onto bypass trail (red trail blaze) and head back down to parking.

Having done both ways I prefer making the right onto under-cliff after peak 3... It's an easier downhill decent, there's also a small stream to check out and the woods seem to be prettier on that side of the mountain.

Very unique hike and worth checking out.