Breakneck Ridge Trail

Breakneck Ridge Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beacon, NY that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.9 miles 2086 feet Loop

canoeing

rock climbing

Breakneck Ridge & bull hill Trail is a 9.6 mile loop trail located near Beacon, New York and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & snowshoeing and is accessible from March until November.

loved it

Breakneck Ridge Trail is a great idea for your day off. My buddy and I arrived at 12:30 PM and finished around 330-4 (we had lunch at the summit)
The trail starts off with a tough vertical obstacle, approx. 50% of the climb you will find yourself on "all fours" or at least using one hand to assist yourself. After about an hour you should reach summit(2 great lookouts before peak), only to have to walk back around, then down, a beautifully marked scenic route .

During the 3ish hour hike we only saw about 7-10 people.

DON'T LET THIS TRAIL SCARE YOU !
I wouldn't say this is a easy hike, but if you have all day it can easily be done with periodic stops, and summit is a perfect spot to have lunch (always take your trash with you!)

Trail maps located at entrance .

I am not a very experienced hiker and in the past heights gave me the heebie jeebies but now that I did this I feel anything is possible. Don't get me wrong, this hike is no joke when it comes to the incline going up. That being said, it was worth every moment. The views are incredibly beautiful. We took the white all the way up, then yellow to red trail down. At some points I wondered if we were ever going to start going down but don't give up it's heck of a lot easier to go down the yellow/red trail as opposed to going down the way you came.

Tips... wear good shoes, bring water and take your time. There is so much to see if you love nature like me you're going to want to take it all in:)

Park along the road and get there early between 8 and 9.... Gets busy later. There are porta-potties at trail base.

Make sure you have proper shoes as you will need grip for climbing.

There are 4 peaks each with a great view. ( follow white trail blazes for climbing).
The hike is most strenuous in the beginning while climbing to peak 1. (Has an American flag).

The peaks get progressively easier to climb as you go.
The best views, in my opinion, are from peak 2 and 3.
After peak 3 you can go right and head down under-cliff trail (yellow trail blaze) back to the road. ...Or you can continue up to peak 4 (very short climb). About a half mile or so past peak 4 you can make a left onto bypass trail (red trail blaze) and head back down to parking.

Having done both ways I prefer making the right onto under-cliff after peak 3... It's an easier downhill decent, there's also a small stream to check out and the woods seem to be prettier on that side of the mountain.

Very unique hike and worth checking out.

This is a cool trail that starts with a difficult beginning.Would have been very fun and enjoyable but for the masses of people. It was so crowded and a generally frustrating hiking experience. If you do this trail try to go during a week day which I've heard is significantly better. Dogs are allowed but only bring them if they are pretty agile and/or you can carry them on certain parts.

the beginning was quite difficult, but gets easier. fun trail!

It gets easier as you go but the start is not simple if I are not an experienced hiker/climber

Did the white, blue, red loop. White was very challenging, almost felt a bit unsafe at times, but the views at the top were beautiful. Just take your time and wear appropriate shoes. Because of all the fallen leaves, blue was a bit slippery getting down but the vast tree lines were amazing. Red was perfect: nicely paved with a river running down it. Saturday mornings do get very busy so if you plan to go on the weekend, go very early. Also tons of graffiti on the trail which I loaathhh. Overall was very fun and the fall color palette was lovely.

Awesome

Awesome hike but it's always so crowded. I've been here twice once on a Saturday and once on a Sunday once in spring once in the fall and both times it was so crowded it was almost ridiculous. A pretty tough hike I would definitely recommend some solid hiking boots for the rock scrambles . If your going on a weekend try to leave early in the day, I doubt you'll have any of the veiws to yourself but maybe it'll be a little less crowded .