Bonticou Crag Trail

Bonticou Crag Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Travel from open fields through the woods and hike to the top of a prominent, stark-white crag overlooking the valley. (Optional, challenging rock scramble up.) Note that there is a small fee, per person, as this is on the Mohonk Preserve.

We did this hike early this morning after it had snowed the previous night , only a couple inches but it made this hike extremely difficult . We parked on the farm road and from there getting to the crag itself it's fairly easy and well marked, the rock scramble itself was very cool, incredibly tough in snowy/wet conditions but very doable on a nice dry day i would imagine. The veiw of the Catskills was incredible even on a moderately cloudy day. What I loved so much about this hike was you got veiws in every direction from the top. From there we took the yellow trail to the blue trail which eventually connected to the table rocks trail and then back to the parking lot with a little back tracking . Everything was very well marked

This is a great hike with varying terrain and great views. You can do the short version or add on miles. I added and went to Table Rocks but didn't have enough time to fully explore. Well worth going back.

I love this hike. Such a pretty view of the valley and just the right amount exertion to make you really appreciate it. It feels good!

The scramble was great delicious taste!
Front of that rock,you can feel exactly "really "

One of my all time favorites for a quick day hike. Fun rock scramble and some caving too.

Fun climb with some great views. Can't give a hike 5 stars that you have to pay for. Nature is free! Stop charging.

Fun day of snowshoeing!

Super fun and beautiful views!

The rock scramble was awesome!!!! The only negative I would say is that I wished it could have been a little longer of a scramble up to the top. My sister who is an avid hiker froze like a dear in headlights half way up, lost her hat, and almost sh**t herself by the time we got up to the top. Definitely good times to be remembered! After getting to the top we hiked over to the table rocks, which is about a mile from the rock scramble. The rock tables are a bunch of giant rocks that you can walk on top of but be careful when jumping across the rock formations, the fall can really mess up your day. Overall best place I've hiked so far. Ps if you find a ny giants superbowl hat that'll be my sister's

Excellent hike the scramble was strenuous definitely recommend for experienced hikers or athletic people , follow the dark yellow markings on the rocks there is a few dangerous areas to free hand climb make sure you have proper foot attire , do not climb in the rain a lot of jagged edges, about 3 hour hike if that , 30-45 to Rick scramble from parking lot , and hike through the woods once on top to head back down follow the yellow, at the start stay on red until you get to the rock scramble . Hope this helps.

I did this hike the of July 2016. The trail is part of the Mohonk Preserve and it will cost you $12/person to enter. However, I assume it would be much more crowed without that fee. You also get free parking, toilet facilities in the parking and a trail map! Cheap at the price, especially when you realise how well maintained the trail is.

The trail is beautiful and well kept. It is pretty easy going to start but it turns into a true hike. The beginning is meadows which turns in to a wide forest trail. The map, they provided was a little tricky to read and I missed the Bonticou Ascent trail which is the turning you want if you want to climb to the top of the cliff however if you continue along the main trail eventually it loops back around once you reach a golf course.

The Bonticou Ascent Trail leads directly to the rock scrabble which looked challenging to me. There were people bottle necked in this area. If
you are facing the rock scrabble you can follow the blue trail left to bypass it. When you reach a fork In the trail take a right and follow the ridge line. There are many false trails, switch back and cuts from hikers getting lost or possibly entering from the rock scrabble but use common sense and follow the ridge line.

Eventually you arrive at spectacular view on top of white quartz -like stone. The pictures don't do it justice. The top crags are enormous. You can see the entire Catskills. It's hard to leave. Loved the hike and the view and would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging, great day out.

By the time I reached the Crag it was later in the day and there were only one or two group still there and they soon left. You may want to summit early or late to avoid other people. At 1-2pm as I was hiking I could hear a number of people going up the rock scrabble.

Have fun!

I thought it was great. I have not hiked too many trails, this is my 5th one. But I went with some friends and when we got to the rock scramble, I thought to myself "how do you get up there" and we just followed the marked trails, helped each other and when we got to the top, we relaxed. It's great for team building and to conquer your fear of heights. I would do this trail 3 times a week if I could lol.

rock climbing

Awesome hike not that hard rock climbing don't miss table rocks!!!

loved it. been a while since i did such a fun trail