Blue Mountain Trail

Blue Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this last year, and let me say, it does not disappoint. We took the harder (yet shorter!) trail, which ended up being much steeper than it's longer counterpart. If you're ready for a steep incline with some actual climbing involved, I'd say go for it! The view is worth it.

Did this hike as part of the firetower challenge. The incline is pretty steep so be prepared to stop a few times on the way up. It took about 1:40 to get to the top and 1:15 to get down. The best view is from the tower but there is an over look beyond the tower. The views do not disappoint especially in the fall.

Dogs do not need to be on a leash. As always dogs need to be under control. A great day is Blue Mt. in the am and Adirondack Museum in the pm.

This hike was a bit more challenging than I expected due to the amount of rocks on the path. The navigation around and over them was fun but exhausting. The view from the fire watch tower was really incredible. Since it is in a bit more populated area it doesn't have the untouched nature feel to it. There is a cell tower on top of the mountain which takes you out of the experience a little but you get service so you can Snapchat from the top of you want.

This hike provides everything you could want in a short 2 mile climb. The bottom is gentle and rocky. That gives way to a steeper climb at the halfway point. The steeper section is on mostly flat stone. The stones were damp with recently fallen leaves on them. They weren't to slippery with the right shoes but I can imagine that they could be if you were not wearing hiking shoes. I also imagine that as it gets colder overnight the climb could be considerable harder.

Unfortunately it was a foggy day so there was no view from the top when I arrived at 9:15. I always appreciate the views from atop a mountain but I also appreciate the beauty of nature and serenity along the entire route. If there had been visibility I would have probably given this 5 stars.

I think this makes a great family hike. It isn't too technical and the trail is easy to follow.

Beautiful Hike. I would agree with the moderate difficulty, certainly not a gentle walk on a level trail. Good shoes are a must as most of the trail is granite boulders at a significant angle. We took the puppy-dog (1.5 year old German Shepherd) and she loved it up and down. Would do this trail again and highly recommend it to anyone for the views and tower at the top. Best Group-Photo spot is past the tower, there is a bald spot that allows for mountain views as a backdrop. Pack water if its hot and don't forget your beer for the summit!

Steady slog but great view on summit - worth the hike!

This trail has the twin benefit of being accessible and offering a superb view of the Adirondack park. For new hikers trying for elevation gain, or families with younger kids, it's well maintained and travelled enough to be super safe. Also, the tree line transition, and the altitude flora, are really interesting, even before the summit and the views.

Challenging steep trail but worth the view from the firetower

Great hike.

it was a could hike. some good incline really enjoy the beauty

My husband and I and our three kids (ages 9-13) had a nice hike! Some areas of the trail were challenging, we were able to make it to the top in an hour and 40 min. With plenty of rest stops. Quicker on the way down around 1 hour and 20 min.

So hard, didn't think I would make it. Seriously there were times during this trail's steep parts where I questioned if I wanted to climb more mountains. Ultimately, it ended up encouraging me to get in better shape. Now I know how tough mountains can be. It's strange that Kane is rated Moderate/Difficult, but Blue is not. I would think this is a difficult mountain.

challenging for two fat people. Just getting back into hikeing. need to watch your footing.blew out my ankle on a similar trail. should have a walking pole. but we'll worth the climb. bring lots of water.