EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Black Mountain and Lake George Trail

Black Mountain and Lake George Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clemons, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Relatively easy hike with only a few challenging spots - rewarded with great views and a fire tower. Follow the trail to a road through the woods. Follow this road half a mile to a trail junction just before a private residence. Follow the small red DEC trail markers as the trail skirts right around the home and heads off into the woods. Make sure to follow the small red markers as snowmobile trails are also in the area. You will see a trail heading off to the left towards Lapland Pond. Ignore this and continue on towards the summit. At 2,646 feet you are at the summit of Black Mountain where you will find a fire observers cabin and a firetower. If you wander around the summit a bit you will find excellent views up through the Narrows of northern Lake George. Continue on and take the trail that leads down off the southern edge of the summit towards Black Mountain Point. This will then intersect with another base trail where you will head west (left) towards Lapland Pond Junction. At the Lapland Ponds junction head north (left), follow the blue markers and this will bring you back to the original trail you came in on and after about 2.2 miles you should reach your car.

This was a long but really easy hike. I'd almost say it was more of a walk than hike. The views from the top and the next look out were beautiful. I did this as my 3rd firetower hike and was sad I couldn't climb the tower for an even better view of both ends of the lake. Regardless, so far this was my favorite LG hike.

this hike was very long but very great .. this was accomplished with some 4 and 2 yr old and they did the entire trip .. plenty of snacks and water is recommended

Easy hike, even at the steepest part it's not that bad. Nicely marked trail, with a great view from the top.

Great for endurance.

9/8/16~80, sunny and humid. Nice breeze. This was my 5th Fire Tower Hike. I would say the hike is moderate. It starts out with a wide (snowmobile) trail with small rocks and ruts. The trail gradually gets narrower, around mile 1.7-8 you will start your gradual climb to the summit. The Fire Tower is closed off but the view is definitely worth it. Take the path to the left of the tower which will bring you around to the front for the AWESOME view. My partner and I decided to do the loop. I would definitely recommend It as there's more to see. The trail is well marked. Started out with red markers, then blue, yellow then back to red. Other hikers have mentioned in their review there is t much to see on the way up. I enjoyed the hike either way. The quietness of the trail, the noise from the animals, it's definitely a way to flush out all of your negative thoughts and energy. The bugs weren't bad at all, I did run into a lot of spider webs

Not much to see while hiking up Black Mountain however, once at the peak there are great views of Lake George. Not buggy which is always good, but very rocky trail.

Awesome hike! First couple miles were fairly simple, but that last 1+ mile to the summit were a bit rough. View was well worth it. I just did out and back and chose not to do the loop.

Not sure 6.6 miles for loop mileage is accurate. Might be more. Left from parking lot at 11, stopped at the top for 20-30 minutes, got side-tracked a couple times while coming down the loop above the small ponds and lost another 15 minutes or so, got back around 4. So, 5 hours on the hike. Saw some frogs in the puddles, dragonflies at the summit, some biting flies, a few mosquitos and a couple harmless honey bees. No other animals. After a couple days of rain there were some muddy spots on the way down, especially by the ponds, but not too bad. View from the summit was very nice, but open rocky places to view from were smaller and only a couple compared to Buck Mountain, which had a lot. About 10 minutes coming down from the summit there's a little path off to the right where you can see a flat rock or two, and if you walk out there around 50 feet or so there's another really nice view. We enjoyed the hike and slept well last night. If the loop way down from the summit were a little shorter, less muddy, less buggy, and a little more scenic, that would have made the trek even more enjoyable. Overall a good day.

Great hike, bugs weren't too bad. Muddy in spots on the loop trail by the lakes. Great summit view of Lake George!

Nice hike yet the mileage is off. The signs show about 6.5 miles to complete the whole circle. To get to the summit was 3.15 miles versus 2.5 that was listed on the sign. I went around the circle to get back and it was another 5.7 miles- over 9 miles total! Not complaining, the view and the hike was all worth it. If you decide to do it though know that it will take more than the online site says.

Nice

Awesome views!

Great hike. Beautiful views from the summit. Should have taken the loop back down and by the ponds. Instead we took the fork towards Laplan Pond about a mile from the parking lot and enjoyed wild flowers, marshy vegetation and saw, what we believe were moose prints. If we had done the loop we probably wouldn't have heard what we think was a rattle snake and seen what we're certain was an angry quail protecting her nest.

Great hike. Think we heard a rattle snake. And spooked a mama quail who scared the living daylights out of us because it rushed me! Took Lapland Pond spur which was lovely. Had we known the loop back down would bring us past the ponds we would have taken that trail instead. Beautiful views from the summit.

What a fantastic hike! Don't let the first part fool you...it definitely gets more difficult during the second half of the hike. Well worth the effort! The view was amazing at the summit. The only problem I had was losing my Fitbit on the way back down the mountain

Very easy in the beginning. Moderate for the end, but beautiful views make it more than worth it. Noisy windmill is the only drawback. The say we went it was very windy.