Bethpage Bikeway Trail

Bethpage Bikeway Trail is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethpage, NY that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A narrow island of nature in Long Island urban sprawl. The Bethpage Bikeway generally follows the Parkway from the Massapequa Preserve in the South to Bethpage State Park in the North. Only about a third of its length borders the highway itself, the rest is tucked in an island of wild on a sea of urban sprawl. The trail itself is an even paved surface for the entire length. Massapequa County Preserve has plenty of lake, stream and marshy environs. Three miles of side roads will connect you the the Jones Beach Bikeway to the South (15 miles total). For the trail route that starts in Massapequa Park, click here: http://alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/bethpage-bikeway-trail-from-massapequa-park

Easy ride, usually very crowded on weekends. The winds can make on direction or the other very tough.

Ride this 3-4 times a week, always a good ride, great views, mix of serious and leisurely cyclists.

Beautiful year round and easy for all ages.

Beautiful scenery, not to crowded. Very enjoyable.

Wish it would expand from north to south shore.

Great day, beautiful trails, so much wildlife and the smell of the flowers was everywhere. Clean trails and respectable people on the trail. Highly recommended......

the section I was on was very wide. room for 2 bikes to ride side by side going either way with still room to maneuver if needed.

I'm from out of town and found this while looking for a place to run. I saw many walkers on the trail as well as a few bikers. I saw no dogs on trail at all. I was on a small section that was beautifully paved. looks like a great place to possibly rollerblade too! I ran on a Thursday morning around 9-10am.

Amazing trail

QUESTION: Is this trail good for walking/hiking?

QUESTION: Former avid single track rider. Injured 4 years ago but finally getting back on the bike, actually it is recumbent trike with mountain setup. Ready to start trying easy / moderate dirt paths but I do not know if this trail is wide enough... my trike is approximately 2x width of reg bike. I have seen a lot of trails mismarked as single track or mpontain biking.

Thanks. Any other bent riders in the ny / long island area.

Saw a cute little chipmunk cross our path while hubby and I rode our bikes from Old Bethage to
Bethpage ...can't wait for the leaves to change colors!

Why is there a law forbidding dogs but all I see is countless dogs? They ruin it. Fine the owners 500 dollars and watch how fast they stop bringing their dogs

This is a great trail for Mountain Bikes, Hybrid Bikes, and Dual Sport Bikes. The trail can get a little rough for Road Bikes. The only problem is the stupid people with dogs. There are signs everywhere that state "NO DOGS ALLOWED". There are so many idiots with dogs on the trail that make it extremely dangerous for bike riders. I watched a couple in front of me enjoying their bike ride when a dog on a long leash ran in front of them and both the man and women fell off their bikes and hurt themselves bad. I felt terrible for them. I am not a dog hater. I have two dogs that I love and I would never bring either one of them onto this trail. There should be some official from the Town Of Oyster Bay or someone who can enforce this law. Also, along the way on the southern portion of the trail there are beautiful spots with benches to sit, take a break, and watch the beauty of the wildlife. This however is just about impossible when you have dogs barking their heads off scaring away all the ducks, swans, geese, and birds. Other than the dangerous and disruptive dogs, it is a great trail with both paved and dirt trails. When you are close to the Bethpage Golf course, the trail becomes hilly and is not for the beginner. If you are a beginner, just plan to walk your bikes up the hills. Again, someone needs to enforce the NO DOG LAW because if they did, this would be a gem in the middle of crowded streets filled with cars and trucks. Because no one is enforcing the NO DOG LAW I am giving this trail 3 Stars. Get rid of the damn dogs and I will give this trail 5 Stars.

I haven't biked the entire trail, just the lower part through the Massapequa Preserve. I love walking in the preserve. There is a nice paved trail on the East side of the woods, and a dirt trail ( good for walking or mountain bikes) on the West side of the Mass. Preserve. There is a pretty stream that runs along the paved trail. I have seen Blue Herons in here. And no ticks. Good in all seasons. Not supposed to have dogs, but people bring them in- stay to the dirt trails. Can be very busy in summer and on weekends.