Bear Mountain Loop Trail

Bear Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep inclines up to Bear Mtn summit - features incredible views

I did Major Welch up and AT down. Glad I did. I wouldn't have wanted to walk up all those man made stairs on the AT. Enjoyed all the different types of terrain - including snow! Will do again!

One of my favorite

We did this hike two weeks ago so I can't speak to current conditions (with snowfall and colder temps this week.) However, being a relative novice to hiking in this area I did stop into the ranger station to ask about conditions and I was told that all trails were open and in good condition. Not exactly. We took the Major Welch Trail up and found conditions near the top more challenging than expected. Sheets of ice on certain steep technical portions definitely made me wish I had crampons. Going down the Appalachian Trail was much easier. Anyhow, it was a great hike but I just wanted to give people who may be unaware the heads up.

The way the loop is shown on alltrails sucks. I went there today, paid the $10 parking fee, and from the parking lot went left onto the major welch trail. Taking it to the left was no fun, all stairs! If you do the loop, I recommend going to the right of the lake and take major welch from there. All steep and technical, which are the best hikes imo. I also recommend taking seven lakes road to the appalachian trail, no parking fee and the hike is technical to the top of the observatory.

Was my first time at Bear Mountain! Needed a quick getaway from the city and WOW did I find one! Def a good workout! In spite of the many stairs and marked trails I'd say not for young kids. Probably not for a first time hike either unless you are reasonably fit. The views along the way are beautiful and once at the top its stunning! Only saw 4 other hikers on the trail so it was as if I had the place all to myself. Mind you it was a Friday in January. Stopped at the cafe in the inn for some chili and hot apple cider! A fun winter experience and am looking forward to checking it out in the Spring.

You won't need the StairMaster after doing this hike. a great workout...with great views as a reward.