Bear Mountain Loop Trail

Bear Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep inclines up to Bear Mtn summit - features incredible views

Great trail only bad part was major welsch trail did not have enough red blaze markings! Ended up finally making it down in the pitch black to route 6 lucky we didnt have to be rescued, but we all survived including my lil chi pug. I would not recommend hiking this at the end of the trail start here then go down the spiral path

Great trail with beautiful views...went on a Friday and it was not packed, nor was it dirty. I would definitely go again.

some difficult sections for families with small kids but lots of beautiful views. some missing trail markers too

Perfect place to see the Fall in its full glory especially if you don't want to travel far from the city. We drove till the Bear Mountain Inn, where there is ample of parking available. the base is quite crowded. The closest train station is Manitou, which is an hour walk from the start. The walk up is tough but is perfect enough to give you a good workout in the colds of the autumn. The top though is flocked with people around. We took the Major Welch trail to go up and switched to the less used Appalachian trail while coming down and that's when we found some solace from the people a few hidden spots to enjoy the fall from.

Quite steep. Prepare to spend much of a day with enough food.

Overall it was a good hike - saw six deer (two different groupings, but very up close.) Went on a holiday weekday so it was crowded. I didn't expect the loop to be so man-made, I thought a bit of it maybe, but the extent of it was a bit much and a buzzkill on the nature vibes and felt less like a hike. Plenty of opportunities for views and overlooks which were also a little dampered down by people driving up. Still giving it four stars because I'm simply a hiker who prefers hiking more in the wilderness and that's not the trail's fault. The white trail is well marked, but I only saw a sign for the red trail once and couldn't make my way back to it and did get caught in a loop once and found myself back at the summit again by accident (it was a happy accident - caught the sunset.) Overall, a lovely and short trip away from NYC and a pretty short hike all in all. Nice little spurt.

Beautiful view, nice elevation, good mix of relaxing and challenging

Our dog and is really enjoyed the trail. Great river and mountain view. We took 2 and half hours to finish the loop. Lol

Great trail!!!

Too crowded. Lots of garbage strewn around. Don't think I'll go back.

Great!

Lots of trash, mostly near the base but scattered on the way up, especially near viewing spots. Lots of nice views, but lots of traffic and construction sounds on the AT side. Grateful for the vending machines at the top.