Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, NY that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Mount Baker is a .9 mile hike (1.8 round trip) that can be done with the whole family and rewards you with a spectacular view. Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

Nice hike, I picked it b/c it was a loop trail, had young kids and a view.... however the back section after going to the right up want marked well so we could find it, asked several others about it and they said they never could find it either.... I was hoping to find it b/c the right side was too tricky for my crew!!! Back down we went

It was a fairly cloudy day, but you could still see the mountains out in the distance. The trail was good despite recent rain in the area. Would certainly do again.

Great fall hike with nice views of Saranac

Quick climb, nice view of local lakes and mountains - fall foliage, etc.

Not a bad trail. The view at the top was not as expected. If you are going with small children or do not like a steep climb, I would suggest using the trail to the left where it looks like the trail splits. We took the main trail to the right on the way up which was pretty steep then took the alternate trail down which was fairly easy.

Nice trail. Took the main trail (right the fork). A little tricky in spots with kids. But manageable with time and care. Decent views from the summit. Took the less traveled loop down which was easier than the main trail.

Awesome views once you get to the top. The tail on the trail can get slippery though.

I hiked here with my husband and dog and we all had a great time. Views at the top were stunning. It took us about 2 hours to finish, that's including a few stops and sitting at the top to enjoy the view. I don't know if I would say this hike is "easy" but it was for my dog! She was basically dragging us up the mountain!

Nice hike! Took us about 1.5 hours minus the time spent at summit. Just challenging enough for a beginner like me.

Nice hike. Awesome views. Tough at the top. Did it with a 6 and 9 year old. Bring some water. Enjoy!!

It's steep if you go to the right at the fork. Lovely hike and great view at the top.

this was an easy hike. great views. just pretty easy, maybe and hour to hour and a half up.

We had just completed the TupperLakeTriad which included Mt Arab, Coney Mountain, and Goodman Mountain. We decided to start our Saranac Lake 6ers and did Baker yesterday. I enjoyed the challenge of Baker but I would not consider this an easy hike. It definitely had it's challenges but was very doable. I would suggest you wear appropriate footwear and use hiking poles for stability if there has been rain in the area. I don't consider myself to be an expert hiker and I'm in moderate shape. The view at the top was interesting because it included the town of Saranac Lake. Wear good footwear, poles for stability if it's wet and enjoy the short hike........

We did the loop and definitely needed this map to get down the left trail of the mountain. I would rate this as moderate as there are steep areas that require high steps. The view at the top is awesome.

Take a right when the trail splits. This section is easier to ascend. Some nice sections of bare rock to scramble up. Lots of nice ledges to cop a squat and enjoy the view. Take the other trail down. It is easier on the legs.

The only thing "easy" about this trail would be the distance, as it is a relatively short hike. The elevation change and the scrambling however would warrant a moderate rating. I have a bad knee that makes going down hill very painful so i went up the steep way and hoped to go down the other part of the loop but was unable to find it. Spent about 15 minutes wandering around up top and failed to discover the "other" way down. Great views though and you could easily take a child up this trail.

It's rated as easy but, for an out of shape 40-yr old, it was challenging. You get a great reward though: spectacular views for little distance.