Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Mount Baker is a .9 mile hike (1.8 round trip) that can be done with the whole family and rewards you with a spectacular view. Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

skiing

Nordic skiing in the Saranac region.

Mt. Baker was a little more steep than I realized, but I should have known considering it gains a good amount of elevation in .9 miles. We started out fairly early. The trails were packed down nicely. We ran into a few people and all were just using microspikes. We did the loop and in all, with some time at the top, it took us 1:21. We did this in conjunction with Scarface, because we travel 2 hours to get to Saranac. I prefer being out of the car longer than I'm in it! This was part of the Winter 6er challenge. I look forward to hiking it again in the summer!

geocaching

Great trail with good views of Saranac ar the top. Hiked it with an 8 and 6 year old. They did fine but started to tire near the end. We assended the quick route and couldn't find the other leg for the return so we returned on the same route. This should not be classified as easy. Although less than 1000 feet, it assends quickly and steadily with few areas of level walking. Terrain varries from trail to a little bit of rock scrambling to keep it interesting.

Nice hike, I picked it b/c it was a loop trail, had young kids and a view.... however the back section after going to the right up want marked well so we could find it, asked several others about it and they said they never could find it either.... I was hoping to find it b/c the right side was too tricky for my crew!!! Back down we went

It was a fairly cloudy day, but you could still see the mountains out in the distance. The trail was good despite recent rain in the area. Would certainly do again.

Great fall hike with nice views of Saranac

Quick climb, nice view of local lakes and mountains - fall foliage, etc.

Not a bad trail. The view at the top was not as expected. If you are going with small children or do not like a steep climb, I would suggest using the trail to the left where it looks like the trail splits. We took the main trail to the right on the way up which was pretty steep then took the alternate trail down which was fairly easy.

Nice trail. Took the main trail (right the fork). A little tricky in spots with kids. But manageable with time and care. Decent views from the summit. Took the less traveled loop down which was easier than the main trail.