Ampersand Mountain Trail

Ampersand Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saranac Lake, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike is not one of the 46's but at 3352' Ampersand is a fun, challenging hike with great views from the top. Some steep, tough areas with rockface and some bouldering but it is well worth it.

Not very difficult. Trail was very muddy and slick at parts. There was one part where I had to figure out maneuvering up a rock face with the baby on my back but we managed. Great view!

Great hike, not so hard and point of view is awesome!

First mile is easy! Then it gets pretty difficult. It is absolutely worth it in the end! A perfect view!!

The first 2 miles are easy and then it's a 0.7 mile straight up, high-heart rate inducing "staircase"to the top. And: it's so worth every step. 360 views of lakes, high peaks and amazing fall colors (it's October). One of the most beautiful views I've seen (and I'm from the Swiss alps).

Awesome views up top, not too hard either

Great hike. Last leg is pretty difficult. Summit was completely fogged in so no view but still cool.

Don't walk, run to do this hike! Quieter than Cascade it was just as beautiful if not more so. Not quite as high but those lakes! Summit is bald with 360 views.

Absolutely stunning hike. I could have spent half a day reading at the top. We did it the trail in just over 3hrs.

Ampersand was my 3rd hike for the Saranaclake 6ers, and although I have made the hike once before, I am amazed how beautiful this hike is. Overall the hike is a very challenging gradual uphill climb for about 2 miles and then begins to really climb as you make ascent. The views from the top off a 360 panoramic view of the whole Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake and High Peaks area -- beautiful on a sunny day. The summit is also historic for the "Ampersand Hermit" and offers a memorial to Walter Channing Rice if you follow the rocky bald face to the far east. The overlook of Van Dorien mountain and the famous Ampersand Lake gives you an idea of this once historical area where the Philosophers Club once made their summer visits to explore and travel the High peaks-- (Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc.). This hike is definitely well-worth the effort and offers not only a spectacular view but a nice history lesson of the Adirondacks. This will be a favorite for many.

First mountain I climbed, almost 30 years ago, first mountain my son climbed! I wanted to introduce my son to climbing the Adirondacks and what better way then Ampersand? I had forgotten how steep and challenging it was! My first trip up we had amazing views but my trip with my son...in the clouds. He got his first taste of climbing and loved it! Even with no view, hooked on climbing! So my bright idea turned into 6er's, now working on fire tower challenge and high peaks....what did I get myself into! hahaha

Starts off deceptively easy but that doesn't last long. It was a challenge for me as a "casual" hiker, but I made it! More rocks than expected so I was glad that it was a dry day. Worth it for the views! We saw young kids, older 60-somethings, several dogs, as well as people with bad knees all giving it a go.

Awesome 360 view at the top. 3 out of 4 of our group barefooted it. 3 year old made it with a bit of assistance.

Great trail. Short but steep at the end with spectacular 360 views at the top. Made it with 3 boys ages 8, 10 and 10 and no bloody knees yay! To Marilyn Cahill and nephews- it was amazing to see you on the trail today. I hope you made it all the way to the top. Quite a feat!

You work for the incredible views!!! We hiked it after it had rained the night before... Slick n slippery in places...plenty of company on the weekends. We hiked this in July.

This was my 2nd climb and while it was strenuous, it wasn't overwhelming. There is one tricky spot where you have to use a tree root to boost yourself up but the reward is just a few feet past there. What a reward it is! The 360 view is spectacular! I totally recommend!

Loved this hike! 2nd time was Sept 2008 with realatives

I've done a few high peaks. This mountain is not one of them but it kicked my butt. Amazing 360 view made it all worth it.