Algonquin Peak Trail

Algonquin Peak Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, NY that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

• Adirondack Mountain Loj
    Adirondack loj is used for camping and is the trailhead for many mountains and hikes. There is usually a small fee here for parking.
    44.21030, -73.95573
  • MacIntyre Range Trail
    Follow the trail here to Marcy and Algonquin. This is where you will end after your descent down Algonquin.
    44.16706, -73.96477
  • Marcy Dam
    Take the route towards Avalanche Lake. This begins the longer, more scenic alternate route for Algonquin
    44.15730, -73.95241
  • Lake Arnold Trail Junction
    This is where Lake Arnold and Mt.Colden branch off. Follow the trail towards Avalanche Lake.
    44.15007, -73.95404
  • Avalanche Pass
    This is an awesome area to rest at and take in. The lake sits between two large mountains with ladders and bridges attached to the rock sides.
    44.13608, -73.96417
  • Beautiful waterfall
    the trail crosses over at the base of the waterfall and continues up the side until you are crossing over it once again at the top.
    44.13738, -73.97962
  • Algonquin Peak
    Enjoy the awesome panoramic views of the high peaks.
    44.14323, -73.98751

Just completed Algonquin and Iroquois this weekend with my wife. Absolutely beautiful climb. Would not recommend going down towards avalanche pass unless you are fit, as the loop can take sometime.

I went horribly wrong while attempting to hike this last weekend. I missed the turn on to Algonquin Trail (there are more than the one pictured on this map). I somehow ended up on top of Marshall, which I thought was Iroquois until corrected, and then spent 3 hours alone and lost on a herd path before I somehow made my way back to Avalanche Lake. I was out there for nearly 12 hours and made it back 20 minutes before dark. I was very scared I was going to be spending the night outdoors.

Beautiful views.

Really really tough hike for people who hike in their free time-for fun. Absolutely worth it tho! The trail is really difficult because of the rocks that you need to climb all the way up and the way down is long and hard on the knees because of those same rocks. However the view is fantastic. A great challenge if you have time (7h to do) .

Deceiving hike. It was a very crowded day on the trail which is really the only true negative I can discern. The first mile and a half is pleasant. Then once you pass the nice waterfall the trail continues on a decent grade and is pretty unrelenting. The true test kicks in at the split to either head up Algonquin or Wright. It is a continuous grade, very steep at times with a lot of flat bare rock that was tricky to traverse. Scrambling in multiple areas is absolutely unavoidable. The trail was wet as well which made things a little more difficult, especially on descent. Once you break past the tree line into the alpine it is a cold, long, open face summit approach. Cairns and yellow paint guide your way but every time you conquer what looks like the end there is more to climb. The summit was very windy and noticeably cooler than its surroundings. Wind chill was in the 20's. The view is outstanding with an amazing presentation of Marcy with Colden in the foreground.
The col to Iroquois is rather pleasant. You must traverse over Boundary peak to get to Iroquois but the trek to Iroquois is only about 30 minutes with minimal effort for most of the way. Iroquois provides fantastic views of Lake Colden and also a wonderful look back at Algonquin looming close by. The col trail is unmarked to Iroquois but it is quite obvious and well maintained. It is very intimate though so through passing traffic can be very tight.
Due to time constraints, Wright was not an option, which was disappointing. This hike is a must for anyone wanting to experience a true high peaks hike. However, it should absolutely not be your first nor should you attempt it if you are out of shape. I am definitely still pretty sore over 24 hours later and consider myself in decent shape.

This was my first hike in the Adirondacks! I would consider myself a fairly experienced hiker and in good shape, and man, this trail was a tough one. It definitely earns its hard/strenuous rating. The climb to the top starting at Adirondack Loj was challenging but fun. Lots of boulders and steep slabs of rock instead of dirt paths. We made a quick detour to Wright Peak, which I highly recommend if you have the time. Beautiful views!

After summitting Algonquin, we decided to take the Avalanche Pass route back to the trailhead, which I DO NOT recommend if you're tired or short on time. We were told it would be easier, but it was just as steep and rocky as the trail we came up. Some sections are poorly marked, and we lost it a few times. However, the trail itself was beautiful, and Avalanche Lake was breathtaking and lots of fun with its bridges and ladders. I'm sure we would have enjoyed it more if we weren't losing daylight. Be sure to bring a map (and extra socks) with you if you choose this route! GREAT hike!

Great hike difficult at times. Bring plenty of water. My group ran out of water. There are some very steep peaks and good gripping foot wear is necessary. It was a long day but well worth.

Challenging but very rewarding hike. Combined Iroquois with it and had to summit Algonquin twice. The views are amazing. The trails has a lot of rock scramble areas with some steep wet rock faces which can be challenging on the decent. Wright can be added to enjoy three peaks in one day. I got a late start so had to skip Wright on the way down, there's always next time. 12.5 miles total from Loj parking lot. Enjoy.

Stunning views once you get to the top. We hiked with our local PA hiking club doing a 14 mi loop passing the lake and on up. Very difficult from the lake to the top and down the other side. In the other reviews and description I didn't see mention of ladders. We had two dogs with us, one could be carried but the other is a 77lb older dog who hikes regularly. He was able to climb up some of the ladders but had to be lifted up and down some ladders and boulders. Some of our hikers (age range late 50's-60's) but experienced and in decent shape were totally exhausted by the end. Be prepared with lots of water or filter, food, headlamps and time. It's challenging!

beautiful day for it...a bit warm. bring more than 3 liters of water! also, do all 3 peaks...it's worth it.

Completed this in early October, the view from the peak was amazing with all the fall colors. Definitely worth the time and effort.

Amazing views