Albany Pine Bush Preserve: Karner Barrens East Trail

Albany Pine Bush Preserve: Karner Barrens East Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albany, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Located within the Capital District Region, the Albany Pine Bush Preserve contains one of the best remaining examples of an inland pine-barrens ecosystem in the world. The Albany Pine Bush is a unique inland pine barrens environment. This sandy area is home to the endangered Karner blue butterfly. The trails are mostly flat with only a few small hills - making it ideal for easy hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing and snow shoeing. You can obtain a map of all areas of the preserve on the web: http://www.albanypinebush.org The trails are marked with round colored disks. Most are loops (red, yellow, blue) and a few are connectors (white). This hike is a big loop following the perimeter trails in a clockwise direction... red - white - red - yellow - blue - red - white - red Please stay on trails. This is a environmentally sensitive area.

nice trails but the ticks are horrible.

We were all covered in ticks by the time we left leading to a trip to the ER 7 days later. Out of all the places we have hiked this summer, this is the only trail this has happened. I wouldn't recommend taking children or pets.

broken glass everywhere absolutely horrible to take your pets

Very nice trails but the pine bush is loaded with ticks and tick nests on the path. Once I took my dogs there for a walk and ending up have ticks all over. We had to pull about 50 ticks alone off my dog. Plus my husband and I were stripping off clothing because you could seriously see ticks everywhere on our pants shoes shirt. I am used to ticks but this was by far the worst walk of my life when it came to ticks. Walked all of the pine bush and every since that day never again. So keep in mind spray your feet good with bug spray. Don't say you weren't warned! Other than that grab your camera and enjoy the different trails!!!

it's was good as a beginner. not to many people. had 3-4 routes. I took the purple one about 3.5 miles. worth trying

The APB is interesting for those seeking something different than the usual wooded terrain, and who have kids as well as want to enjoy an easy loop. It is unfortunate that it is so close to the highway, but it can't be helped. I like it, but not one of my faves.

Meh sums it up best. There are some nice parts of the trail and its very easy (flat).

I don't like to give nature preserves a bad rep but personally I didn't like it. The whole time I walked I could hear the busy roads so it kind of took away the seclusion that I normally enjoy on a walk in nature. Very easy trail so that's good for kids but I wouldn't recommend if you want a challenge or if you want to be away from the business of the roads and such.

Meh. You can see houses and hear cars on the thruway and the trail itself isn't challenging.

I grew up not far from the Fuller Road entrance, and I have to say it's really just a shadow of its former self. For the folks who didn't know it back in the day, it's ok. The highlights.. Public restrooms, LLBean does instructional kayak, paddle board training classes there.. And the friendly lady playing fetch with her Lab Retriever.

Good for kids.

Excellent for Xcountry skiing, mountain biking and walking. Outstanding birding. Care is needed against ticks. Recent trail changes requires the new map at the kiosk.

Tick haven. Enter at your own risk, not kid friendly. My Last hike at the Pinebush was October 2014 with 3 friends. We each had 30+ ticks each on our persons. Luck the nature center was open so we could completely disrobe in the restrooms to thoroughly remove the ticks. The hike is mild with gorgeous terrain features and colors in all seasons. Have been 20+ times. Use EXTREME CAUTION, BUGSPRAY, TUCK PANTS IN SOCKS, TUCK IN SHIRT, BRING SPARE CLOTHES AND TICK REMOVAL TOOLS.

good winter hike not too tasking, but enough distance so it's not just a walk

Surrounded by highways, dirty, & lots of ticks even before springtime