Doodletown Bridle Path Loop Trail

Doodletown Bridle Path Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

little ruins to start you off then onto a steep climb up and down. trail is very clear, didn't get lost this time

Markers and this trail map helped us not get lost. The trail was around 8 miles really. Beautiful walk through the woods. And a Challenge to get up to the timp and bald mountain but the views was well worth it, so beautiful. Once you walk past doodletown that's when the adventure begins and a lot of hiking on rocks!

A bit boring ..
Nice for a walk outdoors

I really enjoyed this hike! There are some steep parts that made it very tiring, but all in all a pretty enjoyable hike! Just that climb to Bald Mt was tiresome. The view from Timp was amazing! I really hated Timp Pass Road however. It was just walking on large rocks for a while. I took a detour to find Herbert Mine, but alas could not find it :( I pretty sure I found the trail that takes me up that way, but I went pretty high up before I gave up. I figured that I had gone too far and missed it. Next year, I will try again. Doodletown was okay. I didn't see very many people until later in the day during the second leg of my hike through Doodletown. That part went by very quickly as my hikemates were ready to get into the car.

Great hike but be careful when you get to the top of Bald Mountain- the trail is not clearly marked. Ended up taking a different trail down and taking the Doodletown trail as a separate hike. Both were great hikes. Doodletown was very interesting and fun to explore.

The hike ended up being 7.9 miles that took just over 4.5 hours, but still was a great day. I started on Rt 9 just before the road out to Iona Island on the Cornell Mine trail. This a good trail that takes you straight up to Bald Mountain. I hooked up with the 'RD' (Ramapo Dunderberg). Stayed on that that trail for approximately 2.2 miles & 1.5 hours until I reached the Timp Pass. Pay attention when on this section of the trail, the markers are very hard to find. There I turned right on an unmarked road for less than 0.06 miles & 3 minutes to cut over to the Timp-Torne trail and up to the West Mountain shelter. I took the Suffern-Bearn Mountain trail just after the shelter down the mountain to meet up with the 1777W trail which I took into Doodletown. The last trail home was the 177E through Doodletown back down to 9W.

Should be a nice one for beginner to start with.

pretty decent trail with not many scenic views until you reach the top... make sure you don't get lost, its was a hot day when we took the trail and consumed lots of water.. there are couple for small waterfalls which you can enjoy. recommended for people who look for some calm and peaceful walking among the woods.

Did this hike along with bald mountain and bear mountain. Doodletown was an easy hike through doodletown. Lots of plaques.

This was a fantastic hike. Not too many people on the trail. Make sure to follow this map, the trail blazes change up a bit. Many different vistas, all magical. Our dogs will sleep for days!

We started the hike from the south end of the parking lot inside Bear Mountain State Park. I liked this trail because 1) On a day like today, I was happy for the mostly shady hike. There was some inclines, but no scrambling. 2) The history of Doodletown is amazing. A lot of sites where old homes used to stand and the foundations or stairs are still visible along the trail. There is also a nice waterfall where you can stop, rest and take a few pictures. There are no sweeping mountain views on this hike, but still very nice.

By the way, I didn't know rattlesnakes were in this area! Thank God, we did not see or hear any rattlesnakes - I would have freaked out!

I am fascinated by old cemeteries so seeing the 2nd June Cemetery, and the Herbert Cemetery were the highlights of this hike for me. I hate vandalism. At the intersection to the bridle path there is a sign that tells about the vandalism, and thoughtfully informs you as to where you will be headed if you go south, north, east and west. My guess is that another hiker posted that sign, otherwise I would think a new official sign would have been posted to replace what was there...right? This was my first time on this trail, so I have no idea what the original sign looked like.

In any case, being a newbie, I can say I got this one under my belt. Good fun!

Doodletown was a pretty decent the first half. It was rocky, then grassy, and then the June family's grave and so on. Somewhere in there, we ended up going on the wrong path which connected elsewhere and walked around 15 miles to get back. It's not too scenic unless you're looking inside the forest but it is pretty nice. We spotted a deer and heard several dozens of rattlesnakes closing in. Some people also vandalized the signs so we didn't know where to head to and ended up on many dead ends. If they could put up a new sign instead of writing 'the map and signs have been taken down", we'd know where we were going. Please check out my blog - theoutdoornetwork2013.tumblr.com/ We also have a videoblog of how we managed to track our outing, so you can check that out on the blog as well.

I loved this hike. It was the first hike I took my girlfriend on and she loved it as well... If your in the area I definitly think this is worth it! Its a good walk plus its great for history buffs and its a little creepy!

Pretty tough trail after you get through the actual doodle town. At the end of doodle town go left into the woods you will head up the mountain and get on the Appalachian trail. It's a solid 5.8 mile hike. Not the easiest of trails lots of rocks lots of water from recent storm. They do warn you when you get on trail there could be timber rattlers on the trail so if you bring pets be careful. I did not see any. Being in doodle town is quite eerie. It was abandoned in 1965 and that's exactly what it looks like. Like someone was there one day and now it's gone. Most of the buildings are not there any more and if they r they r only foundations. You can see where steps used to go up to houses. Old cemeteries go back to early 1800s. Very nice hike took me and my girlfriend 3 hours.

Good hike for all. Historical trail. Good wildlife & fauna. Pretty lake. Bring the family.