White Mesa Area Bike Trails

White Mesa Area Bike Trails is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near San Ysidro, NM and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Relatively easy hike, beautiful views. Bring plenty of water, it can get hot and there is virtually no shade.

Great View of the Zia Reservation, gods great making

Great hike. Went left at sign 12. It goes vertical at one point!

Good trail. Get a workout. Take plenty of water and avoid being out there in the middle of the day. My son had a good crash here resulting in a broken collar bone and concussion and we are familiar with trail.

The Ojito Wilderness has many great hiking places for Fall, Winter and Spring and White Mesa is one of those places. As a hike, it really isn't that big of a deal. I would call the trail moderate at best, I could see it being difficult on bike. You do need to watch the bikers though because many of them don't watch out for anyone else. There are some fascinating formations in the area too. I'd avoid Ojito in summer because it is very hot and dry.

Fun trail! Parts were a little extreme for my intermediate status on the mountain bike. I hiked the bike a few sections. Look forward to going back!

I have done this trail via my mountain bike a couple of times. Frankly I had the wrong bike for this one, sized incorrectly but that is another story. I think I would enjoy it more on my new 29er but at the time found parts of the trail on the difficult side. You need a good bike and lots of confidence to get through parts of this trail. Most of it is very do-able but the sections that are difficult are very difficult in my opinion. You would have to be close to expert to complete the whole run without having to walk your bike through certain sections such as the hairpin descent at the north end of the trail coming off the very narrow ridge trail at the top of the mesa. A few long climbs and a couple of very steep albeit short climbs.

One of my favorite places to hike. Formed by the Tierra Amarilla anticline, it provides a lot of variety for hiking. Used mostly by mountain bikers, but hikers are welcome too. Dragonback ridge goes all the way to the river by US 550 and is about 3.5 miles one way. The middle ridge is fun to hike down. The other side of the canyon someone named "The Final Frontier." There are salty springs along the middle of the area. Good place for loop hiking. Hikes can be anywhere from about 5 to 9 miles long depending on which loop you take. Best in Fall, Winter, and Spring... a little hot in the Summer. There are trail maps by the parking area. Take US 550 from Bernalillo and turn on Cabezon Rd. just past mile marker 21. There is a sign on the highway for the Ojito Wilderness (another great place to hike!). Both areas are off the same road. The bike trails are about 4.5 miles from the highway. Enjoy!